We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

high speed internet

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
high speed internet

What's the chances of using an "American" laptop in England? Do you need any kind of adapters?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,363 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: high speed internet

If you want to run your machine off the mains, you'll need a plug adaptor and a voltage converter. North American electrics are 110/120V , and the UK operates on 220/250V. If you've got a dual voltage laptop (100/240 or 110/250) it will work with a plug adaptor (UK plugs are three pronged).

If your laptop is single voltage, you'll need the converter / transformer as well, so you don't fry the electrics. A good travel supplier should be able to offer advice; also have a look at www.magellans.com for more info.

There are a lot of WiFi hotspots in London. If you can't locate one you can go to an internet cafe and use their connections, but you may have to pay a small fee.

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: high speed internet

When I was in London a couple weeks ago, my hotel room in a Holiday Inn, had an outlet for American appliances. At the desk in the room there was a row of of 3 or 4 outlets and each one was for a different area. One was for the UK, one was for America and another was for Europe or another area. I was able to plug in my laptop without a converter or adapter and had no issues.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: high speed internet

I usually take my laptop to London with me, but not necessarily for internet access. Most hotels charge about £15/day for access and most wifi hotspots charge, too. If you are just planning to use it for internet access, it's much cheaper to go to an internet cafe and use their pc's.

I use my laptop mainly for uploading our digital photos and keeping up with my journal. Most newer laptops come with a power adaptor that can use dual voltage. Check the fine print on the adaptor and if it says "Input 110v - 240v" all you'll need is the three-pronged UK plug adaptor.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: high speed internet

May I respectfully advise that you look up your own 'instruction book'. Usually I find this a good idea if I want to know if my laptop is dual voltage (and it would be extremely unusually to find that it isnt). All you wil then need is a simple cheap adaptor for the plug...simple.

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: high speed internet

"Most hotels charge about £15/day for access"

Broadly true but I did recently stay at Quality Crown Hotel kensington on a package rate that included the high speed internet access (WiFi and cable) in the room rate. Atr the time, the rate was available in all 3 Quality Crown hotels - kensington, Hyde Park and padington, I think. Not sure if it is still there but wheck them out at www.qualitycrown.com

Manhattan, KS
Level Contributor
109 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: high speed internet

southernbellSouth - I took my Dell laptop with me on my recent trip to the UK. Like TravellerPlus said, check your laptop to see if you just need the adaptor or whether you'll need both the adaptor and converter. I just needed that adaptor for my Dell as it is a dual voltage laptop.

I found the laptop to be very helpful. While we were there, I used it to look on the internet for restaurants, further information on things that we had seen or wanted to see, maps, timetables, as well as checking my email.

And like kayb95, I also used my laptop to store digital pictures, keep a journal and a spreadsheet of expenses.

The charge at my London hotel to use their WiFi was £5 per hour or £15 for 24 hours. Our hotel in Edinburgh offered free WiFi.

Have a lovely trip!