We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent Restaurant around Covent Garden

Vancouver
2 posts
Save Topic
Decent Restaurant around Covent Garden

My husband and I will be in London for our first year anniversary. We are going to see a matinee show at the Lyceum Theatre and will want to go out for dinner after. Does anyone have any recommendations for a restaurant? We don't want to spend too much money and we really aren't that comfortable w/ "fine dining". I'd rather go somewhere that is laid back w/ great food and a decent wine list.

Thanks for your help!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
128 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent Restaurant around Covent Garden

There are huge numbers of restaurants in Covent Garden so you will be spoilt for choice. I'm sure that others will offer their favourites as suggestions, so for starters, here are mine. You could try Christopher's in Wellington Street directly opposite the Lyceum. An alternative would be Bank about 400 metres away in Aldwych, at the junction with Kingsway. A more traditional place would be Rules in Maiden Lane, again about 400 metres away but in the opposite direction to Bank.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,339 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent Restaurant around Covent Garden

Hi BC

If you like Italian, Da Marios on Endell Street is great. Informal, buzzing. Italian family, authentic italian dishes.

Prices:

Starters: around £5-6. Mains: £10 - £18, large wne list - some good and interesting wines at under £20.

Stoofer

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent Restaurant around Covent Garden

Chez Gerard is a bustling fun place right on the market place.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
468 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent Restaurant around Covent Garden

Bertorelli's, on Floral Street next to the Royal Opera House, is a favourite of ours. Only a short walk up Wellington/Bow Streets past the ROH, then turn left on Floral. Not stuffy at all, and the food (northern Italian) is great. Haven't had a bad meal there yet.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent Restaurant around Covent Garden

I like Tuttons, which is right on the Piazza - nice for people watching. It was one of the first restaurants there after the redevelopment from the fruit market - I used to go there a lot when I wrked nearby in the 80s and had a very good meal there last year..Nice food, but not at all stuffy.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,620 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent Restaurant around Covent Garden

I quite like Sofra, on Tavistock Street, not far from the Lyceum. Scrummy Turkish food, decent portions and prices that won't break the bank. www.sofra.co.uk for more info.

Another option is always Sarastro, where the resto adds to the charm of the show - www.sarastro-restaurant.com

Stranded in London is a newish place, which has had not so bad reviews - I like the name. Have a look at www.strandedin.com for a 15% savings voucher you can print out and take along, just in case.

7. Re: Decent Restaurant around Covent Garden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 22:17