We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

museum of childhood

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
museum of childhood

I'd like to know if this museum is worth a visit with our daughters. I've been reading on their webpage and it looks a good place to visit. It seems to be a bit away or it's just my sensation.

Can we combine it with other things in the area?

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$126.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
441 reviews
from US$104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,073 reviews
from US$148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.50*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: museum of childhood

I liked the museum a lot more than I thought I would, but it's been a few years since I visited. I have it on my to do list for my upcoming trip, though, and can post a little report after I've popped in.

The museum is perhaps a five minute walk from Bethnal Green station, which is in zone 2 (but a long-ish trip from the PTI Kensington). Your small girls might enjoy a visit to Hackney City Farm before or after the museum - have a look at www.hackneycityfarm.co.uk for more info. You may want to take bus number 8 to or from Liverpool Street station along the Bethnal Green Road, to get a look at a part of London that's not on a lot of visitor's schedules.

London
Level Contributor
450 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: museum of childhood

Hello RamonSpain

I went there about two weeks back, just after their renovations and it is great.

It is a bit out of the way but if you change to the Central Line, it is about 30min. away from Central London. Follow the signs and the museum is 5min. way; just after a small lovely park. Perhaps if the weather is really nice, you can combine it with a picnic in this park.

The exhibits are really good with a mix of old fashioned and the more newer toys which they would be familiar with. Lots of hand ons things to try including a sandpit where they can play in, rocking horses , doll house and a child-size Victorian kitchen.

They also have arts and crafts workshops at certain times. My daughter and I had a lot of fun making butterfly masks to take home.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: museum of childhood

Thank again for such helpful tips to plan our trip!!!!!!!!!

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: museum of childhood

What do you think if we do a little bit of the British Museum (Greek area, my wife has been to Athens and wants to have a look and then the Mummies for the girls) have lunch around there and then head to the Museum of Childhood from Holborn on the Central line to Bethnal Green?

Our friends will leave to Spain on this day and we will take them to Victoria early in the morning for their flight.

Is this doable in one day? These would be our plans for our day 5 and we have to plan day 6

Thanks

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: museum of childhood

The children enjoyed it - but what you will notice is adults all over the place exclaiming ' I had one just like that' and going all misty eyed and nostalgic......

6. Re: museum of childhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 16:23