We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat to Greenwich

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Boat to Greenwich

When people say to take a river boat to Greenwich do they mean a private boat company or is there something that London Transportation offers? I cannot, for the life of me, seem to figure out what other posters meant. If you could suggest a website for costs/schedules/etc. that would be great.

Please excuse my ignorance; have just received a call from our travel agent letting us know that our tickets are in...the excitement has clearly turned my brain to mush!

Thanks for your help!

28 days to go.....WOOO HOOO!!!

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,449 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Calgary canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat to Greenwich

Myrtle if you stop breathing now you will be no fun when you get here. take a breath, it is important. I have made a few mistakes planning my trip to London next week because of not thinking clearly.

just kidding!! not about my mistakes though,

I know someone here will help you as they have me

Enjoy your planning and your vacation eh?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat to Greenwich

Hi Myrtle,

Transport for London (the people who run the buses and tube) also run a riverboat service to Greenwich. I'm not sure if you'll get a guided tour or not but their brochure is available at the following website:

tfl.gov.uk/river/pdfdocs/river-services-guid…

The ones to Greenwich leave from the Savoy Pier near the Strand and Waterloo bridge.

Just keep counting the days.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,449 Reviews
London, UK
The Savoy
The Savoy
5,155 Reviews
London, UK
Waterloo Bridge
Waterloo Bridge
170 Reviews
London, UK
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat to Greenwich

The boats in mick's leaflet are all river buses except for the ones on page 27 which leave from the Millennium Eye pier. Westminster to Greenwich takes about an hour or 30 mins from Tower Pier. There are various companies doing the trips all leave from Westminster, Waterloo or Tower piers. Boats vary enormously from modern catamarans to boats that went to Dunkirk. Fares around 10 GBP return. You can also get rover tickets and hop on and off.

Mentioned in this post
Westminster
Westminster
4,309 Reviews
London, UK
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,449 Reviews
London, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
581 Reviews
London, UK
Dunkirk
Dunkirk
Nord, France
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat to Greenwich

When you get to Greenwich, make sure you take time for a drink by the River....Trafalgar Tavern is great...hundreds of years old; turn left as you come out of the boat station and just keep walking along the river (the river on one side and the College building on the other)..you'll get to Trafalgar Tavern in about 3 mins - you just cant miss it ! Very Charles Dickens !! Or...just around the corner/ tucked behind the Trafalgar is The Yacht, another nice riverside pub and a bit quieter...be a bit braver and just keep walking down that same river side path, past the Yacht pub and within a couple of moments you'll get to the Cutty Sark pub - again, river side and less touristy, and they do great sandwiches (cheaper than the Trafalgar !).

Enjoy !

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,449 Reviews
London, UK
The River Cafe
The River Cafe
1,303 Reviews
London, UK
Trafalgar Tavern
Trafalgar Tavern
601 Reviews
London, UK
The Yacht London
The Yacht London
919 Reviews
London, UK
The Cutty Sark
The Cutty Sark
581 Reviews
London, UK
somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat to Greenwich

There are lots that do tours to Greenwich, with most leaving from Westminster pier.

www.citycruises.com and bateauxlondon.com seem to have good rates.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,449 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster
Westminster
4,309 Reviews
London, UK
Crystal Lake, IL
Level Contributor
89 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat to Greenwich

Myrtle....

If you have a travelcard, make sure you show it when you purchase your boat ticket so you get a discount. The boat is educational and great fun. So is Greenwich. If you're running short of time when you're ready to leave, you can take the DLR back into the city and connect with the tube at Canary Wharf.....all for the price of your zone 1-2 travelcard.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,449 Reviews
London, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat to Greenwich

That's a good option proposed by Cyberdad.

Take the DLR from Cutty Sark station and change either at Canary Wharf (about 10 mins on DLR from Cutty Sark) or Bank (20 mins). There's even a train from Greenwich rail station you could use your Zone 1-2 Travelcard on ...good if you are staying near Charing Cross, Waterloo or London Bridge. About 10 mins to London B, add on 5 more for Waterloo and another couple for Charing X.

Mentioned in this post
Cutty Sark
Cutty Sark
2,527 Reviews
London, UK
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,449 Reviews
London, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
581 Reviews
London, UK
London Bridge
London Bridge
299 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat to Greenwich

OH, and if you have a little extra time take the boat trip that includes the Thames Barrier, it's very interesting and it's what protects London from flooding. The trip takes about 30/45 minutes more than the Greenwich trip and the boat stops at Greenwich on the return from the Barrier.

Mentioned in this post
The Thames Barrier
The Thames Barrier
157 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
The Greenwich Tavern
The Greenwich Tavern
414 Reviews
London, UK
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,449 Reviews
London, UK
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
387 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat to Greenwich

I can strongly recommend City Cruises. We used them very recently. They seemed to have the nicest boats, at least of those I saw.

Happy trails.