We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Podo's trip report/ last part!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Podo's trip report/ last part!

Hey Everybody!

I almost forgot to post about the last few days of our trip!

Travellers:

Sheri (aka Podo944)

Martin (hubs)

Scott (teenage son)

After our side trips to Scotland, Dublin and Paris (amazing time we had!) it was back to our base in London...

This time, aside from a dinner out with Martin's dad and his new wife, (for those who don't know, Martin is from Dartford and worked in London when we met 8 years ago) we were on our own, just the three of us being tourists in London for three days.

The first day we went to the London Dungeon... I've been before with a friend 7 years ago, but Martin and of course Scott had never been. Cheesy as heck, but it was really fun and Scott loved it! All the torture and horror ya know! :-P

Now I know this tourist attraction is underground, but I've gotta warn you... it really does smell bad down there! Very strong scent of pee as soon as you enter! Gross! Even the "characters" made some comments about it! Nevertheless, it was still fun.

Afterwards we walked to St. Pauls cathedral but it was closed for renovation! Oh well... we kept walking along the river, and came upon the Clink museum and Scott wanted to go in because it was more midevil torture and punishment. Seriously! He's a nice kid! But there is that facination. It was a small museum, but very interesting. So sad though how sadistic humans can be to others.

Afterwards we caught a train to Dartford and met up with Marty's dad for dinner at Bluewater mall. That place is huge!!

The next day we went to Buckingham Palace. I knew there'd be no changing of the guard that day, but there were tons of folks there who were expecting it. I think they used to have it every day.

After that, we made our way to Westminster Abby. I wasn't sure what my teen would think of it... well...he was bored! Really really bored! I thought he'd at least think it was interesting knowing that he was walking on crypts and everything, but naw.... we didn't stay long. :-P (However, it's still one of my fave places to visit... it's where my hubby and I started falling in love while gazing at the all the beautiful stained glass! :-)

That evening, we went to the theater! I told my son after all the castles and dungeons etc. he had to indulge his mom in going to a West End musical! So we went to the Palace and saw "Billy Elliot: the Musical"! It was fantastic!!!! Not only Martin and I loved it, but Scott really enjoyed it as well! Yay!! (Sometimes they surprise you!)

The last day of our trip was a bit odd... by this time we were all satisfied with an amazing vacation, yet very ready to go home!

The plan was to go to Camden town and just walk around and see all the freaks and punks and shops and what not. A friend had highly recommended it as somewhere teens might find interesting.

And while my son isn't into any actual "goth" or "punk", we all thought it could be fun.

However, as soon as we got there and started walking, Scott got very antsy, and sort of had an aversion to the place! Martin and I wanted to stop for lunch and just "people watch" but Scott wanted to go! His reason and I quote, "Mom, I see enough of these freaks at my school" He just didn't like it. *shrug*

Very well, we pondered what we wanted to do... the British Museum? We hadn't done that... no... we were all a bit museumed out! Then I remembered we weren't very far from the London Zoo, so I suggested that, and for some reason, that appealed! So off to the zoo we went and had a very pleasent afternoon! :-)

In the evening we headed over to Leister Square and had a meal at Garfunkles. It's not an English restaurant I was very impressed with before, but we ended up there anyway, and it was actually pretty good! The best part though was we just took our time, during the meal, and talked about all the adventures we'd just been on! *warm fuzzies*

The next day we were off home!

Thanks again for ALL the wonderful advise here!!!

There is NO WAY this would have all gone as smooth as it did (dispite a few mishaps) with out this site and ESPECIALLY these wonderful generous forums!!!!

Happy travels to all!!

Cheers!

Sheri :-)

Milwaukee...
Level Contributor
134 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Podo's trip report/ last part!

Podo- thanks for sharing! You mentioned places I would not have thought to visit ! Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Malta
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Podo's trip report/ last part!

Thanks Sheri, I just love these trip reports.

Does anyone know how long St. Paul's will be closed? I thought that the restoration project was completed some two years ago. It is one of the must do items on our list.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Podo's trip report/ last part!

St Pauls is very open.

Services taking place.

Malta
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Podo's trip report/ last part!

That's better

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Podo's trip report/ last part!

A great trip report. Teenage boys can really test your patience, can't they?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Podo's trip report/ last part!

Podo, great trip report. Pity its the last one. I've sent you private message!

California
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Podo's trip report/ last part!

Not sure what the deal was concerning St. Paul... the front was draped off and they wouldn't let us in round the back either.

That's okay... something to look forward to next time! :-)

California
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Podo's trip report/ last part!

Hey Purple!

OMG! I had no idea there was a "message" thingy!

I just found it and your message and goodness, I owe a few folks a message back! LOL! :-P

Thanks! :-)

9. Re: Podo's trip report/ last part!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 01:20