We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centralish Travelodge??

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Centralish Travelodge??

Just booked trip to London for 18th Aug with a mate. When she's been before she likes to stay at Kings Cross as it's a shortish walk to all the sites and sounds including Camden. Gonna stay at a travelodge for cheapness but unsure which one, Faringdon, Islington or Kings Cross. Coming into Kings Cross station. Help please

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

The King's Cross Royal Scot gets a slightly better set of reviews than the TL King's Cross - but really, calling one of the hotels an Islington hotel is trying it on a bit, since the Angel is a good 10-15 minute bus ride away.

Both hotels are close-ish to King's X station, with plenty of bus and Tube options - if you get a £26 rate at one, then go for it, as those rooms are the same as those that sell for £49 or £79.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

Eugh, it's so confusing...

Travelodge Kings Cross - Willings House, Grays Inn Rd.

Travelodge Kings Cross Royal Scot - half way up the Kings Cross Road.

Travelodge Farringdon - a bit further up towards the Farringdon end of Kings Cross Road.

From which you can deduce that Kings Cross Road goes from Kings Cross all the way up to Farringdon & that more than one road runs through Kings Cross (e.g. Grays Inn Road).

TL Kings X is at intersection Grays Inn Rd & Kings Cross Bridge Rd.

The front is a renovated Victorian building - quite pleasant - & the rooms are in purpose built block behind that. I stuck my head out of the bus as I veered past on the no. 73 bus the other day. So certainly the rooms will be modern & well kept. The obvious drawback is that there may be platfrom noise from the Thameslink commuter line station - polite mention on the website - & it is very close to KX buses & tube. The upside is that it is very close to KX buses & tubes. It is the absolute nearest Travelodge to Kings Cross locale, rail & tube - unless the blighters build one right in the station.

I cannot visualise the Farringdon branch that's how memorable it is but it's a central place with a good range of bars & restaurants in both Exmouth Market & Spitalfields nearby. Tubes are good - Farringdon, Barbican & Blackfriars within strolling distance & a variety of bus routes.

TLKXRS is moments from the TL Farringdon & midway between KX proper & Farringdon proper. It's a built tired but is within strolling distance of Exmouth Market/Farringdon & KX proper.

I know there is a TL being built at the junction of City Road & Tabernacle/Worshop streets. Prolly open Summer 2007.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

By the by, if you cannot get into TLKX & must be that close to KX/St Pancras rail & tube, then check out the Premier Travel Inn St Pancras - in York Way right next to KX.

Currently getting good reviews on TA.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

Angel is 5 minute bus ride from KX, & 10 - 15 walk UPHILL.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

Well, my last experience on the number 30 to the Angel was at 1730, hence my longer journey time. Am far too lazy to walk uphill, you know.....

;-)

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

I'll learn ya.

Actually(!), for reasons best known to someone completely different to me, the walk uphill from behind the TLKXRS through Lloyd Baker estate up to Amwell St (crest of the hill) is far more pleasant than the direct schlep up Pentonville Rd.

The obvious difference being that Pentonville Rd is just a awash with diesel particulate & heavy traffic whereas the scenic (!) route up through Lloyd Baker is charming & you can peer into people's houses;-).

To this I have fallen.....TLKX, TLKXRS, TLF, PTIStP ?????

Tinka', by the by...you could walk from Camden Town to KX, it's a special walk best done after several hours in a club. It's not far, but you must stick to the main roads. The most sensible route from the bottom of Camden High Street is down Eversholt Street to Euston station & then turn left to walk along Euston Rd to KX. About 15 - 20 minutes.

You could follow the bus routes to cut through Crowndale Rd into St Pancras Rd EXCEPT that there are still building works going on, some roads are not open & areas are not well lit or busy in the early hours. It's not worth the risk.

Stick to the main roads - well lit & busy. It'll only add 5 minutes to your walk.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

Thanks for all your help, looking again it's Kings Cross Royal Scott that's 49 on the Sat night and 26 for the Sun and Mon, as on a really tight budget think I've gotta go for that one, not gonna get anywhere cheaper am I?!!? Think it'll be a case of walking everywhere Soho, Camden, Covent Garden etc etc Is the area where XCRS is ok to walk at night, we're 2 lasses

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

Yes, KXRS area is OK.

Kings Cross Road is a busy (A201) road, it runs from Kings Cross to wards Clerkenwell, Farringdon & then down towards Blackfriars Bridge. So there will be traffic along there all day & night. It's not a dual carriageway, just a main route through this part of town.

Two girls walking home in early hours, being sensible, along this road will be fine.

The road is mostly offices & small shops to service them during the day - very ordinary. Otherwise, there are very quiet residential streets behind the main busy road. It's a relatively unspoilt area of town.

The area immeadiately behind TLKXRS is rather charming. The Lloyd Baker estate streets used to be very elegant - now a mix of elegant refurbishments & shabby still standing. My mother tells me years ago that this is where all the Sadlers Wells & West End dancers used to have their digs (years ago), so it has a Boho twinkle.

If you are on tight budget, walk up behind TLKXRS to Amwell Street, turn left & walk along Penton Street to Chapel Market. At the Penton Street end you find the Alpino caff - very clean & good value - with retro interiors, featured in fashion shoots.

From TLKXRS, cross the road & walk down Calthorpe Street to get you to Russell Sq. You'll pass the Brunswick Centre - Waitrose, Square Pie, & other eateries. From here you can easily walk to Covent Garden. Maybe 25 minutes.

For cheap eats at the Angel, the Thai veggie buffet opposite the Angel tube offers All You Can Scoff for under a fiver. If you fancy Chinese buffet,then try the place on the first floor on the N1 centre at the Angel (the Marquee is on the ground floor). If the Chinese doesn't appeal, there'sa Wagamama's opposite.

Also there is the S&M (sausage & mash)caff on Essex Road opposite Islington Green.

Also within walking distance of the TLKXRS is Exmouth Street market. You'll find a variety of eateries here. Al's Diner on the corner is good. The fish & chip shop on Farringdon Road (Golden Something or other) opposite the fire station is very good.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

Cheers again!!

So how far to walk to sat Camden, Soho, Covent Garden?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Centralish Travelodge??

From the Royal Scot to Covent Garden, about 2km; maybe 2.5km to Soho. Camden is about 2.5km as well.

Bus service is quite good to the King's X area to and from up West and towards NW1. Quite a few routes offer 24h service, esp along the Euston Road. A one day bus pass costs just £3, quite a bargain if you use the buses a lot.