We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King's Cross-Okay area for solo female BUDGET Traveller?

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Topic
King's Cross-Okay area for solo female BUDGET Traveller?

I'm so excited! I purchased my airfare today for this coming October. Now I have to find a seriously budget accommodation for my week long visit. I like the reviews on this site for the Hotel California in King's Cross, but I am worried aboout the area as I am travelling solo. How bad is it, really?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$127.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: King's Cross-Okay area for solo female BUDGET Traveller?

Things may have have changed in recent years but Kings Cross is not an area I would pick, try the b&bs around Gower Street (anywhere south of Kings Cross to you get to Oxford Street) which are just as cheap and away from the pond scum that tend to hang around Londons northern railway stations

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: King's Cross-Okay area for solo female BUDGET Traveller?

Yes, TexasEllen, things have changed considerably.

The area around KingsX has progressed after several years of intensive investment in the infrastructure. See recent posts about the area. I wouldn't prop up the bar in any of the pubs off the beaten track on my own late at night, but could apply to boozers all over London. I'd be comfortable about getting off a bus late at night & making my way to a local B&B/hotel. It's the usual advice about persoanl safety whereever you go. The KingsX area will never be picturesque as other parts of London, but it has superb transport links.

By October, the preparations for the opening of the new Eurostar terminal will be almost over, & the area will seem quieter as the construction firms pack away their toys & a bit smarter.

As you are booking up so far in advance - now for October - I suggest you check out the quality budget chains such as Travelodge & Premier Travel Inn. The respective branches TL Kings Cross on Grays Inn Road & PTI St Pancras on York Way are recently built & on main roads so arriving back late will be OK.

The PTI has an all day restaurant on the ground floor & is receiveing rave reviews. Female colleagues have stayed there solo & would not hesiate to return.

TL runs a £26 per night special offer which you may get if you book in advance.

There are several branches of Pret, Starbucks et al nearby.

However for a week's visit, you may find PTI & TL a bit anonymous/ bland & would prefer somewhere with a bit more character. If you search this forum, you will find posts for KingsX, Bloomsbury & Gower Street hotels & B&Bs, where the quality is higher & experiences are less variable than those posted for the Hotel California. But if the HC appeals, then don't hesitate because of the area.

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: King's Cross-Okay area for solo female BUDGET Traveller?

Thanks for the info....I'm still on the hunt and now it seems my quest will be more difficult because of the smoking ban, I see that it will be more difficult to get a smoking room-discussed in other post, but still, any ideas?

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,716 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: King's Cross-Okay area for solo female BUDGET Traveller?

I often stay in the Kings Cross area and my sister has stayed there on her own. It's fine, the old reputation for prostitutes and druggies has long gone.

The smoking ban re. hotels is a bit of a sticky subject (i know i work for one), it applies to public spaces and while you rent a 'private' room, cleaners, waiters, etc. will be exposed to the smoke so some hotels are choosing to be totally non-smoking.

As the previous post states Travelodge might be a good option. If you're booking well in advance you can often get a Saver Room for £26 and if you're lucky (and i have been on occasion) you can get a Super Saver for £15! You have to book direct at www.travelodge.co.uk and pre pay with no refund for cancellation but if your flights are booked i can't see that being a problem.

Another good option in the Kings Cross/St Pancras area is Wardonia, it's clean, comfortable and for a budget traveller 'does what it says on the tin', all rooms are en-suite and i think they start at £40 for a single.

5. Re: King's Cross-Okay area for solo female BUDGET Traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 01:17