We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

New Jersey
Level Contributor
105 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

My daughter and friends are staying in London for the summer and would like to take a day trip to a beach in Southern England. I am looking for suggestions as to where they might go that would be accessible by train from London. I thought about Brighton or Dover but I don't know what the beaches are like in either town plus which might four college age girls prefer! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

Kind of depends on what they want... Brighton's a really nice town, nice place for a daytrip from London, more than just a beach (nice shops, restaurants etc). The beach is really popular too, but it's shingle / pebbles rather than sand so if they're after the full sandy beach experience it's probably not the best place. For a sandy beach daytrip from London I have a bit of a soft spot for Broadstairs (Kent), especially Botany Bay, which is a bit quieter than the main beach at Viking Bay.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

Thanks for your speedy response! Will look into the sandy beaches you are referring to see if they are easily accessible by train.

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

I would definately suggest you look up Broadstairs in Kent, it has a horseshoe shaped bay with sand and another 5 bays close by , places like Brighton, Eastbourne & Hastings have straight stony beaches and Broadstairs is one of those numerous places where Charles Dickens lived. I think he wrote Bleak House here. Also there is an original 50's coffee bar called Morellis where you can get an awesome knickerbocker glory.

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

I forgot to mention its cinema is about 200 yards ftom the shore and is amazingly small. Well worth a visit.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

The beach quality apart - at college age, the girls are sure to love the Brighton scene. Well worth them booking a cheap B & B and staying for a long weekend.

Stoofer

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

I would suggest Brighton, because although the beach is pebbles there are also lots of little boutique shops which is good if the weather turns bad.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

Where does the train leave from that goes to Brighton? Is there a lot of Victorian achitecture to admire there? I heard that they have an interesting pier. How far is the train station from the boardwalk? Thanks in advance for any info about Brighton as a day trip.

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

You leave from Victoria Station, the seafront is about a mile, but is downhill and not a bad walk.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

If sandy beach is a must then Bournemouth is an option aswell. Little further to travel.

Station is not too far from the city centre.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
275 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches and Swimming in Southern England

Trains do not only go from London Victoria to Brighton. The First Connect service goes from King's Cross Thameslink, Farringdon, City Thameslink, Blackfriars and London Bridge. The same train also calls at Gatwick Airport on its way to Brighton. Have fun....