We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi vs tube/bus

Southbury...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi vs tube/bus

My family of four will be staying near Buckingham Palace and most of the places we plan to travel to are 1-3 miles from our hotel. If we travel together it appears that the cost of a taxi is not much different than the tube/bus. Am I missing something? Any advice?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi vs tube/bus

Take black cabs if there are 4 of you- that way you can see London as you go!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi vs tube/bus

If any members of your family group are children aged between 5 and 15, you are missing the benefits of the family travelcard. It would certainly be cheaper compared to 3 taxi journeys and probably cheaper compared to 2 taxi journeys per day.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi vs tube/bus

I would say WALK if you can - buses are fun and so is the tube. The problem with the tube is you don't get to see much. However, keep in mind when using taxis you can run into traffic and that can be frustrating. Buses often have a lane they use on some of the major streets. If you only plan on one taxi ride per day, and you are all adults, it would probably be about the same price as the tube, but you definitely miss the experience of the tube and bus. I usually take taxis when it is later at night and we always paid 15 - 20 pounds for our trips to the hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,611 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi vs tube/bus

Get Travelcards and use the bus. You can see just as much as from a taxi, and the price is much much cheaper in the long run - with a Travelcard, if you see something you like en route, you can get off, have a look around, then hop another bus.

It might sound slower to take a bus than tube, but by the time you get down in the tube station, wait for the train, then back upstairs, you've been moving and seeing some of the city for not much more time.

The bus and tube systems are heavily used by Londoners, not just visitors, so there must be something to them.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi vs tube/bus

We have always gotten around London via tube and foot. Only took a bus once and a cab once. The tube is essential to feeling like a Londoner. At least to me. Pub

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi vs tube/bus

Taxis can use bus lanes so you wont be held up in a taxi any more than on a bus.

You wont see nearly as much from the back of a black cab as you will upstairs on a bus. Cabs have very large rear pillars so the rear seat has very restricted views and sitting on the fold down rear facing seats is not very comfortable.

For short journeys take the bus, no contest.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi vs tube/bus

A One day travelcard offering unlimited travel on tubes and buses after 9.30am is 4.70GBP per person. A taxi for 4 people for a two mile trip would come to at least 8 to 10GBP. It is cheaper still for 3 day and 7 day travelcards.

The one time I would consider taking a taxi is late at night after the theatre or at pub closing time but that is when everyone else is also looking for a cab! Buses and the tube are quite safe late at night in central London.