We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from London to Slough

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from London to Slough

I will be in the UK for a week, staying with a friend who lives 40 min from London off the M4, I believe. She will be working three days out of the seven, so I will be on my own. Can anyone recommend transport from Slough to London? Should I rent a car or is there a possibility to take the rail system? I'm a little nervous about driving to London, through am used to driving in NYC traffic - but from what my family says, London is a whole different ball of wax (especially with opposite side of the road driving)

Any recommendations? Thanks for the help in advance!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$124.70*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$147.20*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$99.50*
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from London to Slough

Hello and welcome to the forum. In a short word - train. From Slough to Paddington is only around 15 min and trains run frequently. From Slough you can catch the train to Windsor Castle. From Paddington you can catch the Underground and explore London. The train will much cheaper than a rental car and much less nerve wracking. Public transportation in London is pretty good.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from London to Slough

Just take the the train. Your friend should be able to help you with where the station is and what train to take. The public transportation system is great compared to what we have in the US.

I would never recommend driving in London.

Take a look at www.tfl.gov.uk which is the transport for London website.

Also, keep in mind that once you get to London, you can take the subway (the Tube) or a bus to get closer to where you want to go.

Look at information in this Forum about travel cards and Oyster cards. Again,your friend is probably familiar with the options on how to buy tickets and passes for public transportation.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from London to Slough

One other thing to put you off - Parking!

It would be expensive and often hard to find anywhere handy for what you want to see.

Train - you can then relax and enjoy a brief view of the city as you approach rather than jockeying for position with other drivers whilst trying to navigate.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from London to Slough

Avoid the car if possible. Good train service as already mentioned from SLough to London, traffic jams, congestion charges, parking, congestion (despite charges), and probably incomprehensible layout to the foreigner. In short your friends are right! However hiring a car for trips to sites nearer to Slough might be alright for a day or two- bear in mind traffic can still be tortuous. Too many cars, too little space.....

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from London to Slough

Just get the train as everyone says.

Did anyone suggest a trip to Oxford?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from London to Slough

I realized the title of my post was backwards - thanks to everyone who replied! Now I can save money on renting a car and put it to better use, like shopping or a round of drinks for my friends!

Thanks again!

7. Re: Driving from London to Slough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 20:20