We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warm beer

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Topic
Warm beer

It is misconception among many american visitors to London that they won't try the local bitters because they do not like the thought of warm beer. It is not warm, most that I have tried are definately cold but not ice cold like the beer you are used to back home. These bitters have flavor and aroma because they are not ice cold, give them a try you might like me get to like them. I'd like to know from converts there particular favorites I like Old Speckled Hen

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warm beer

I like your willingness to try something new and perhaps (judging from your other thread)going somewhere other than just London.

Lots of people spend their time finding fault with things when they are different from what they are used too at home.

In a hotel in Italy we were enjoying the local food while trying to ignore some other British tourists who were asking for omelette and chips (french fries). Part of the joy of going abroad is trying new things otherwise what is the point of leaving home.!! This is one of my pet rants so I hope you don't mind that I have used your thread to air it:-)

My husband enjoys some of these beers. His favourites are Deuchars IPA, Tanglefoot, Marstons Pedigree and Waggledance to name but a few. Not all of them may be available everywhere. I think Deuchars is a Scottish one. Not an expert on these things myself!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Warm beer

Good for you Ellen, the true CCA (cask conditioned ales) are served at the perfect temp....cold, but not icy. Some of my favorites:

Timothy Taylor's Landlord

Young's Ordinary

London Pride

Greene King Old Hooky

And remember to just ask the barman to give you a sample of a beer from the taps if you're not sure you'd like it. They are more than happy to do so.

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Warm beer

Timothy Taylor is a friend of mine : )

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Warm beer

John Smith's Extra Cold was just perfect in my opinion.

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Warm beer

Fullsailmom if you ever get the cahance try and get out to Chiswick for the Fullers Brewery tour it was very interesting and you get to see the whole process from start to finish. When we left we walked eastwards along the road that runs parallel to the Thames and had lunch in the Dove right on the river.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Warm beer

Timothy Taylor's Landlord - the Nectar of the Gods. It also used to be my local brewery

Greater London...
Level Contributor
128 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warm beer

Fullsailmom - If you take TexasEllen's advice and go for a drink in the Dove in Hammersmith, you will be drinking in the pub in which Thomas Arne is said to have composed the patriotic song 'Rule Britannia'. A few bars of it are still played each morning at about 05h30 on BBC Radio 4 (along with clips of other patriotic songs representing Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland as well as England and the UK as a whole) when the night-time feed from the BBC World Service gives way to to daytime domestic service!

I strongly endorse the recommendations for Fuller's Beers, but then I would, wouldn't I, because it's my local brew!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Warm beer

I thought this was going to be another post asking if the beer over here is really warm so i'm pleased to see it is the exact opposite.

Ellen, if you haven't done so yet, then go to the Market Porter pub next to Borough Market. They regularly have about 10 guest beers from all around the UK and you can have a great evening trying different beers with wonderful sounding names.

http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub470.html

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Warm beer

Mick67, we have had lunch in their upstairs restaurant but will make a beeline for a proper visit as we like the Borough Market itself and the general area

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warm beer

The Kings Head in Teddington does a good Timmy Taylors.