We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Hampstead Heath

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
Bus to Hampstead Heath

I would like to take bus 24 from central London to Hampstead Heath on my first Sunday in London. I will be staying very close to the London Eye. Where will be the best place to catch this bus? How much will it cost?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Hampstead Heath

I think it would make most sense to catch it at Westminster - just walk across Westminster Bridge to the corner of Parliament Sq, then you need to turn right down Parliament St / Whitehall. It's bus stop 'C', which will be on the opposite side of the road.

It will be quite a long journey to Hampstead, I think!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Hampstead Heath

You can catch the number 24 bus from Parliament Street. Just walk across Westminster Bridge, past the tube station and Parliament St is first on the left, it's the one that becomes Whitehall and leads up to Trafalgar Square. You will need to cross over Parliament Street and look for bus stop C which is where the 24 stops. The map below shows you where this stop is:

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…westminster-2298.pdf

If you want to return by bus, you'll want bus stop A on South End Green. The map below will show you where this stop is.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/…

If you have a travelcard then you will not need to pay as the travelcard covers all of London for the buses. if you have an Oyster PAYG then the fare is £1 each way or £2 each way if you pay with cash.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Hampstead Heath

The journey can take about an hour as it winds through Camden Town around the back end of Hampstead to South End Green.

Bear in mind that SEG is at the bottom of Hampstead & thereafter you will need to walk up the hill to most of what Hampstead has to offer, other than Keat's Grove & the funfair. By all means take a walk up the hill. You have a series of routes you can try to take you up to the junction of Heath Street & Hamsptead High Street, in essence the heart of Hampstead village & where the tube station is.

Sharp up Pond Street, right at Rosslyn Hill into Hampstead High Street. You could get a bus on Rosslyn Hill, if you find the short stretch of Pond St a bit steep.

OR

Meander up South End Road & take a left up Keat's Grove & then further up on to Rosslyn Hill.

OR

Up SER, continue up Heath Rd into Willow Rd, or continue further up Heath Rd up the side of the heath up to Well Road. Turn left into Well Rd& continue walking through the residential streets into Well Walk & the heart of Hampstead.

Stop at pubs discovered en route to sample finest ales.

If you are not keen on a 20 minute schep up the hill, take the tube to Hampstread.

South Africa
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Hampstead Heath

Thank you very much for all the info. I think we will take a bus up and a tube back.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Hampstead Heath

The other day I took the tube to Hampstead, then walked through the park to the Spaniards Inn, and back. It's an excellent pub. There's bus stop in front of it it you wanted to bus back to the Hampstead tube stop. I second EmParr advice about exploring hampstead pubs.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Hampstead Heath

Spaniards really is a special pub.

The place oooooooozes history.

http://www.pubs.com/pub_details.cfm?ID=240

professorharbottle.co.uk/pub/…spaniards.html

touruk.co.uk/london_sights/spaniardsinn1.htm

http://www.urban75.org/london/hampstead1.html

IF any TALFers can make it up there for an atmospheric jar or two, it'll be worth the schelp. Maybe London Walks do a crawl up to Spaniards.

Maybe Mick & Adam could lead a party up there.

By my reckoning, go to Hampstead rather than Archway tube station to get the local hopper bus, it's just more atmospheric.

You can of course walk from Highgate village or Hampstead, allow 20 minutes.

If you fancy another charming Hampstead pub within a beer mat's frisbee of the tube station, then the Holly Bush on Holly Mount, just off Holly Hill, is worth a sit down & quiet pint.

http://www.hollybushpub.com/about.asp

http://www.pubs.com/pub_details.cfm?ID=197

7. Re: Bus to Hampstead Heath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 17:21