We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Candy

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Topic
British Candy

If I ever need an incentive to return to London (which I don't) it would be to be reunited with British confectionary, I love it! Fry's Chocolate Cream, Fry's Turkish Delight, Cadbury's Flake, Pontefract Cakes the choice is endless and also I love the many and varied Walkers Crisps especially the Smokey Bacon flavor. I find that with Bombay Mix the more you pay the more bland it gets, the best Bombay Mix I ever had cost 30p from a newsagents in Tooley Street it is superb. Could the British posters advise me and other visitors on confectionary gems for us to look for. I could get addicted to Victory V's quite easily.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,590 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Candy

Have you tried a "Fisherman's Friend"?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Candy

My husband loves these rolled candies called Love Hearts, can't get them in the US so we always pick him up a bunch when we go. He also likes the violet flavored ones, we get both at Woolworth's. I like Bassett's rum toffees, once again we find them at Woolworth's in the section where you pay by weight.

Ware, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
110 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Candy

Ellen,

If you like Chocolate that much you had better go to Cadbury's World near Birmingham. It is a bit manic but what do you expect when every corner you turn they give you another bag of free chocolate bars full of e numbers.

I have only ever been by car so could not help on whether you get there by train. I am sure someone will know for sure.

The shop at the end of the tour is just fantastic.

http://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/en/cworld

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: British Candy

I have seen Fishermens Friend I think they are made by Lofthouse

if I see them agin I'll have to give them a go

winnipeg
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Candy

Is it true (or false) that Cadbury chocolate made in the UK is different from the Cadbury chocolate I can buy here in Canada?

My current favourite is Hazelnut, but wait Fruit & Nut is good too..............time to go have some I think............ :^)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,234 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Candy

"Is it true (or false) that Cadbury chocolate made in the UK is different from the Cadbury chocolate I can buy here in Canada?"

A couple of years ago at a TALF pub meet we had a Cadbury Dairy Milk tasting session with bars from the UK, The USA and Canada. The general concensus was that the American bar was sweeter and was prefered by the children at the tasting whilst the adults went for the English bar.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Candy

In the name of science I did a taste test just last weekend - 250gm Cadbury bars two for £2 at Sainsbury's - and the Whole Nut bar is far superior to the Cadbury's Hazelnut we get back in Canada.

Mars have come up with a new product, Planets (what a terrible, terrible name!). They're purported to be a mix of crunchy, chewy and melty (or is it soft? can't remember), rather on the lines of Revels, but without the icky orange one.

Again strictly to further the study of theobromine derivatives on one's homeostasis I bought a bag and consumed them. Chewy and melty show v little differentiation, and crunchy is instantly identifiable as smaller than the other two.

Woe betide TP if Mars put the things in a big bag.........

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Candy

For me, anything from Thornton's. I'm especially fond of their "Special Toffee" and their Viennese chocolate bars. Swoon!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,149 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: British Candy

TP! The 'icky' orange Revel is the best one!

I always used to have to take Flake bars over when I visited the family in the USA because they said they couldn't get them there. Other big favourites of theirs were Milky Bars, Bounty's and Creme Eggs.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Candy

If you like Candy / Sweets, there is a small shop near Covent Garden (the exact address escapes me) that imports from all over the world - especially Japan / Asia. you can even get scorpians / ants in a lolly!! I skipped those and stuck to some Cadbury chocolate not available over here.