We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP buying rail tickets

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
HELP buying rail tickets

I am trying to purchase advance rail tickets to York from London and back. Because I am in the US, the GNER website does not recognize my "post code" and is not allowing me to purchase the tickets. However, a friend told me he was able to do it online but doesn't remember the website he used. Does anyone know how I can purchase these tickets online now from the US?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Malta
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP buying rail tickets

If I am not mistaken, you can use www.thetrainline.com. You would need to register first before being allowed to purchase tickets.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP buying rail tickets

Use a UK postcode (your hotel's or even SW1 1AA) to register then log into your account profile and change the details to your US address. People have reported this working in the past.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP buying rail tickets

All of the companies that offer train tickets in the UK use the same basic database & software, so all of them have the same problem with "furriners"

So whichever website you use you'll have to use a UK postcode then change it after registration to match your Credit Card so you don't have problems with booking.

They don't post tickets abroad so you'll have to use the Fastticket option which means you pick the tickets up from a machine at a nominated station (either departure or one that's convenient for you). You need the booking reference & the CC you used to book the tickets

Finally booking through GNER will give you a 10% discount on their tickets, booking through thetrainline will mean a £1.50 booking fee if you use a CC.

Boston...
Level Contributor
345 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP buying rail tickets

Just wanted to mention that I never changed the address to my US address. I registered with my Hotel's address and when I entered the postcode, the choice for the actual Hotel came up! I bought 3 sets of tickets to 3 different places via Fast Ticket with this method and had no trouble at all!

I bought from the GNER website and the Heathrow Express website as well as First Great Western - all without any trouble and all using the hotel address without changing the address to my US one.

HTH :-)

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP buying rail tickets

I have had no trouble with the gner website using the methods outlined above--entering a UK postcode and then changing the address in my profile after. You really should change the address in the profile to your own for the sake of fraud prevention. While the website seems to process payments with an incorrect address, should you have a problem with your card down the road your CC company may not be too happy with you for using a false address. Best to be safe, and it really is easy to change the profile.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP buying rail tickets

THANK YOU all for your help. I was able to purchase my tickets by changing my address on My Account at the GNER website. I just didn't change the post code. Whew! You can't imagine how much frustration I was suffering. I appreciate all your advice. :)

Malta
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP buying rail tickets

May I add my thanks for the info re GNER, really helpful and with a 10% discount to boost.

8. Re: HELP buying rail tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 18:18