We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking outside London near tube or train station

Vix
4 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

Hi , Dri ing from north M1 to London for 3 days and looking for somewhere to park and get either tube or train into central London. Train not an option .Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
36 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

Stanmore tube station, at the end of the Jubilee line, would be the obvious choice from the M1: https://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/stanmore-stn-lul/

London, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
70 reviews
116 helpful votes
2. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

Almost every suburban station within commuter distance of central London is subject to strict parking controls designed to stop people from doing exactly what you want to do.

If you park up outside someone's house and leave your car for 3 days, it will more than likely be reported stolen at best, or vandalised at worst.

Most Council controlled parking is via pay and display with a 24 hour stay being the max . . .

An option might be to use Just Park where you will negotiate a fixed cost to park on a domestic drive for the 3 days you require.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,507 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

North side of the North Circular Road at Brent Cross is unrestricted and 5 minutes walk from Brent Cross. Park in Shirehall Lane by the park and you wont be annoying anybody by parking outside their house.

London
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
61 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

There is controlled parking round Stanmore tube, and most tube stations.

Vix
4 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

Thanks for all your useful info ,brent cross seems a good option.Another bit of advice required , it's been a few years since I've been to lo don so best premier inn to stay ? Looking for somewhere close to buzzy atmosphere , street food , nice reasonable eateries, things going on in streets but close to tube for sightseeing. The options are:

London Southwark Tate

London bank tower

London euston

London southwark borough high st

London Southwark bank side

London tower bridge

London kensington

Any advice greatly appreciated as difficult when you dont know area.Trav with husband and 13yr old.

Many thanks

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
18,206 posts
24 reviews
40 helpful votes
6. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

When we used to drive to London (we always use the train nowadays) we used to park at Stanmore tube station, mentioned in reply #1. It's inexpensive, manned, very convenient for the M1 and 24 hour, so you can stay overnight. On one occassion it was completely full but we found an alternative easily enough.

Several of the Premier Inn locations seem to suit your requirements. Borough High Street might be a good one, with Borough Market nearby for lots of eating options (closed most Sundays).

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
36 reviews
49 helpful votes
7. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

Have you considered either the County Hall or Waterloo PIs? I would think they would meet all of your criteria.

One other thought on your travel arrangements is whether driving is absolutely necessary? You don't have a location in your profile, but if you have access to a train line into London, I'd be very tempted to forget the car, take the train and arrive straight into central London with no messing about parking and then getting on the tube.

London
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
61 reviews
32 helpful votes
8. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

#6 pandachris2 - how long ago was that?

Bankside

or

Borough High Street

for food (borough market and surrounds) and transport (London Bridge or Borough stations. Plus waking distance to lots of places, including Tate Modern, The Globe, down the path by the river to Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast etc.

London
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
61 reviews
32 helpful votes
9. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

And County Hall is a top location Premiere Inn.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
18,206 posts
24 reviews
40 helpful votes
10. Re: Parking outside London near tube or train station
Save

I don't think I've parked at Stanmore for 7 or 8 years, Roaming, but the NCP website, link provided in #1 looks like the Ts&Cs are much the same. I have a feeling that we paid £4 a day, although that might have been when I first started using it in the 1990s. It's £6 per day now.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.