We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit Master Cards???

texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Debit Master Cards???

Okay, we are getting down to the nitty gritty.. I have all my cards ready and waiting. BUT, and there is always a BUT.. I have been reading about Visa Debit Cards at ATMs. Mine is Master Card issued by my bank. It is a Cirrus card and I was assured by my bank it would work... Has anyone used a Debit Master Card?? It will be coming out of my checking account..

Thanks,paula

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Debit Master Cards???

pwillmon each ATM will have a logo of what card it will accept, I have yet to come across one that doesn't take Cirrus.

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Debit Master Cards???

I used my debit mastercard all over London last fall, worked like a charm, no problems anywhere. I used it like a credit card though, didn't try any ATM withdrawals. No problems with purchases, restaurants etc. Piece o' cake!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
752 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debit Master Cards???

Not only will your card work at almost all ATM's, it is accepted virtually everywhere. My wife and I recently spent eight days in London and had cash left over from the 20 pounds we got from a ATM on our first day. Everything was on the card.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Debit Master Cards???

Debit Mastercards are just refered to as Maestro over here and will work everywhere for purchases and at all ATMs.

New South Wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debit Master Cards???

Recently spent a month in the UK with a visa debit card from an Australian bank and had absolutely no problems withdrawing cash from ATMs there (or ATMs in the rest of Europe or in Asia either).

This card on my savings account was the only way I had to access cash, don't bother with travellers cheques, your debit card will work. The first time I went to Europe I took visa debit cards from 2 different instituations - just in case - but it wasn't necessary.

Just remember to inform your bank you are travelling overseas between certain dates so they won't query/refuse transactions. This is what happened to my daughter - she forgot to tell her bank so all transactions were refused when she tried to withdraw money from a Bangkok ATM. She had no money, had to get up at a strange time of night, wait for her call to be answered in a call centre while paying international phone rates to straighten it out.

6. Re: Debit Master Cards???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 20:20