We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bass Ale factory tour

Bosotn
7 posts
Save Topic
Bass Ale factory tour

I will be in London in August and would like to tour the Bass Brewery.

How close is it to London?

How can I find out more info regarding tours?

Derby UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bass Ale factory tour

The Bass museum is in Burton on Trent and is a couple of hours (perhaps less) on the train from London St Pancras station.

Bass is now owned by Coors who call it something else but everyone here calls it the Bass Museum.We live about 10 miles away and often visit just to use the pub which has a huge selection of beers and good food.

Try this link:-

http://www.coorsvisitorcentre.com/

Burton was and still is a brewery town with Marsdens another old company famous for Pedigree bitter which you may struggle to find in London.

There used to be a pub on every street corner in Burton!

Good luck

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bass Ale factory tour

You could also tour the Fullers Brewery in Chiswick, south-west London, phone the number on this page for more information:

http://www.fullers.co.uk/frames.phtml

The Great British Beer Festival is being held in London from 7 to 11 August, if you'd like to sample beers from all over the world (including Boston): http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=gbbf

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bass Ale factory tour

"Bass is now owned by Coors"

A very sad statement that.

Derby UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bass Ale factory tour

There was a story in our local paper that when Coors took over they were so worried about the staff answering the telephone with 'hello bass museum' that they sent them warning letters to the effect that if they did not stop then they would loose their job..Well it had been Bass foe a couple of hundred years!

Nice company to work for eh?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bass Ale factory tour

Is it the Bass brewery in particular or a 'proper' English beer type brewery in London? I know Bass is very popular in the US but there are plenty of other more popular beers in the UK (Bass is hardly ever found in Britain nowadays). In London, you could try Youngs www.youngs.co.uk in south west London or Fullers in Chiswick, west London www.fullers.co.uk

Incidentally, Coors are one of my customers and I have visited their office in Burton on Trent a couple of times. It is in the original Bass building but as Bass is predominantly enjoyed by American drinkers, it seems apt that an American brewer owns it.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bass Ale factory tour

"In London, you could try Youngs www.youngs.co.uk in south west London or Fullers in Chiswick, west London www.fullers.co.uk".

Youngs are no longer based in Wandsworth, South West London. They merged with Charles Wells brewery (makers of Bombadier) and moved their brewing operations to the Charles Wells brewery in Bedfordshire. The Wandsworth brewery has been sold (or is being sold) to property developers.

However, Fullers are still going strong in Chiswick.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bass Ale factory tour

Mick - you're quite right. I'd forgotten about Charles Wells coming in. Shame, shame indeed.

8. Re: Bass Ale factory tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 04:18