We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

Maine
Level Contributor
275 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

As it is summer, I need to warn the Americans. Don't plan on buying cold drinks while out & about. Most shops sell water and sodas from the very inefficient "open coolers". Where we are used to getting drinks just slightly above freezing, the Brits seem happy with beverages slighlty below room temperature. Unless you get ice, done plan on being refreshed. The first thing I did when I got back to Boston was have some cold milk.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

Can't actually agree with all of this. The drinks aren't usually "slighlty below room temperature". Certainly not as cold as you may have in the U.S. or here in Australia but from most supermarkets and takeaway shops they are chilled at least.

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

That's funny! That was the exact thing I was craving after my trip last year! I finally had a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon at the airport the morning I was leaving and I washed it down with a cold milk! Man that was good! May be a Maine thing? Missin' our Oakie Oakhurst?

Boston...
Level Contributor
912 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

I have to disagree as well. All of the beverages I've purchased in London have been cool enough. Perhaps not as frosty as our standards, but certainly sufficiently cold.

The one thing that does make me smile is that if you ask for something "with ice" in London, rather than the glass full of ice that you'll receive stateside, you'll literally get your beverage back with a couple of lonely ice cubes floating around in it.

Not a problem, just an observation.

:-)

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
275 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

Two observations - and take them in the spirit in which they are intended:

a. Americans usually have drinks so cold that they crack your teeth.

b. When my wife asked for a Mountain Dew without ice in Shreveport, Louisiana restaurant the staff thought that she was making fun of them!

Says it all for me.

Glad you enjoyed your trip, though and it is interesting to hear your comments.......

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

I'm not sure that many 'open coolers' are - most convenience stores and supermarkets at least have refrigerator cabinets with a sealed door which keeps drinks cold enough. I find drinks with ice floating in it very unpleasant - just dilutes the drink and doesn't keep it cold for long.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

the law in this country is that things sold from "refigerators" must be at a temperature between 5-8 c.

we live in a fairly temerate country that is more often cold than it is hot,cool drinks are popular freezing cold drinks are not,just like our beer.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

Apparently its much better for your health to take drinks at room temperature than super-chilled. Obviously it wouldn't be good for your health if the drink were milk and it had started to curdle, lol, but as a rule we don't like to dilute our drinks with unecessary amounts of frozen water in the UK.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,852 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

Next time any of you are in the U.S., get a Slurpee at 7-11. Forget about cracking your teeth, it will crack your whole head open!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

Have you ever thought where all the hot air from refrigerators and aircon systems go?

Have you ever considered how much fuel is used to keep drinks cool, when there is no real reason to have cool drinks?

I enjoy reading your comments, but I can't always agree with them.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,852 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 4 Cold Drinks?

Peterscot, I almost included a comment about how wasteful refrigeration and freezing is, and how most Americans DO realize it, and also realize that energy costs, not to mention simple space contraints, are so much more acute in other countries...but I thought this was a lighthearted post about cultural differences in the way we enjoy our beverages.