We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Maine
Level Contributor
275 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Okay Americans, I know this will sound dumb, yet it may happen. I found that nearly everything in London is double the averag price as in the states. The reason I mention this is because it is easy, for me at least, to forget that because when you look at prices, they appear written the same.

Example: A tin of biscuits for a souvenier will be priced 9.95GBP. My mind quickly thinks, "ah, $10.00, that's reasonable". Then my brain says, "hold on, that really costs $20.00, NOT so reasonable". Or, a soda from a vending machine. 1 pound, "oh, average". Ooops, $2.00 "yikes".

What I am saying is, you need to concentrate when buying incidentals so you done over spend your budget. Of course, you are on holiday so hopefully it won't matter.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
121. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

"It's very odd. Americans say things are double in London but they are definitely not half London prices in the US. Is there some warping of the space/time continuum here?"

The UK price is comparable to the US price (sticker price to sticker price). The cost to Americans is double (exchange rate).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
122. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

ntz

Sure;y you can recognize that "sticker prices" are not the same all over the U.S. The earlier poster was simply saying don't compare London prices to smaller, cheaper places in America, which is what many Americans, although not all, on TA seem to assert. For my two penneth worth ( or should that be 4 cents) the assertion that "sticker prices" in the UK & the US are the same is a vague generalisation at best.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
123. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

I must say that I know what MrNjori was on about. We have to multiply by 2.5 (and are grateful as on our last trip in 2004 it was by 3) but after a week we were "acclimatised" and spent silly amounts on little things. We find England very reasonable in price these days and unfortunately dont lose all the weight we used to as we can even afford to eat. It is wonderful to have all the free admissions and hardly any road tolls.

If all you Americans find it so expensive it must be time for us to revisit the US-our last trip there was in 1995. But I do agree with Mr Njori!

Inverness, scotland
Level Contributor
790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
124. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Aussie John,

thanks for supporting my views on posters not comparing like with like. I find it one of the most irritating things on TA. Did a 6 week RTW trip last year ( inc OZ/ Fiji ) & ended up in San Francisco where nothing cost half the UK price.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
125. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Wow! Why so many deleted posts?

I must have missed some controversey.

It's been really interesting to read peoples perceptions.

A point I would add is that London, is IMO not that expensive for basics. Many famous cities are the same in that they have huge volumes and lots of competition, so prices for basic eating & drinking out is quite cheap - there are lots of options.

However these cities also tend to be very expensive for 'high end' or 'famous & fashionable' restaurants. When on vacation people tend to go for a bit of luxury and experience, I think that's why it's seen as so expensive. Also it's easy to fall for expensive tourist traps.

I live on the south coast, and find that once I'm in London I can eat out cheaper than at home, as long as I don't do the 'tourist thing' or the fashionable 'wannabe' things.

So it's all down to research, use TA wisely before your visit :-)

Stoofer

Windsor
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
126. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Heartily agree with Stoofer, if you do your research and 'go local' rather than trying to have exactly what you have in your home country, London is not expensive - if you don't want it to be.

I was in Dublin last week and it seemed a lot, lot more expensive than London but I guess thats because I didn't do my research and just went with the tourist flow.

Surveys are pretty meaningless for comparing costs in cities, as the dominant component is always the cost of renting a house/apartment. Only expatriates and those on business expenses would even think of renting an apartment in the centre of London, the 'real' person goes elsewhere unlike some of the cities being benchmarked.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
127. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

IMO the above list is meaningless to a tourist.

Cost of drinks and food are far cheaper in London than mamy many places I could mention, including the two others on the list.

Stoofer

vienna
Level Contributor
206 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
128. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

This must be an old survey, as London dropped from the first place years ago already (Moscow or Oslo are the leader).

I agree with Stoofer that the above is not really decisive for tourists...

And I also agree with Stoofer that recently there were lots of deleted or locked post here - and often I couldn't understand why ...

129. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 04:19