We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Maine
Level Contributor
275 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Okay Americans, I know this will sound dumb, yet it may happen. I found that nearly everything in London is double the averag price as in the states. The reason I mention this is because it is easy, for me at least, to forget that because when you look at prices, they appear written the same.

Example: A tin of biscuits for a souvenier will be priced 9.95GBP. My mind quickly thinks, "ah, $10.00, that's reasonable". Then my brain says, "hold on, that really costs $20.00, NOT so reasonable". Or, a soda from a vending machine. 1 pound, "oh, average". Ooops, $2.00 "yikes".

What I am saying is, you need to concentrate when buying incidentals so you done over spend your budget. Of course, you are on holiday so hopefully it won't matter.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

The whole 'it costs twice as much' issue, as we all know, it usally based upon our (U.S.) crummy exchange rate. That is why we exchange all our money before we go over and resist the temptation to do the mental conversions while we are there. If we have £500 for spending money, that's what we mentally work with. And as you say MrMjorl, we're on holiday and it usually doesn't matter.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

MrN, I'm enjoying reading your observations. Certain other posters seem to have had sense-of-humour bypasses.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Are you really sure that American visitors need to be told the exchange rates and how to caluclatre a simple math?

Try going to countries that have difficult currencies and math calculations. It's part of travelling.

The $ is weak, you'll have to accept it for now, who knows what the future holds?

Stoofer

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

I was in London when the pound almost hit 1:1 with the dollar - it was like an American bunfight in Harrods - skin and hair all over the place!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
35. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Calculate - even? Sorry, must start checking before posting.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

...and in case anyone asks it was sometime around 1985

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Stoofer....."Try going to countries that have difficult currencies and math calculations. It's part of travelling."

Yeah.....Canada for one! Slightly over the 2-1 exchange ratio (usually is higher), but once you start shopping for everything you have to work out the GST/ Provincial tax percentage and add it to the price tag - just like VAT but not included in the price. Highly annoying for visitors who don't know when they get here, evokes murderous feelings towards government if you're a resident. :-)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Jim

And lead, some would say, to Black Wednesday a couple of years after.

Remember the 15% interest rate? I bought my first house in 1988, still have nightmares about Nigel Lawson creeping up on me!!!

Londonlass

I'm sure. The italian lira used to be fun before the Euro, I,m regularly in Serbia where you get around 128 dinars =£1, that's quite tough when trying to get exact calculations.

Stoofer

Canada
Level Contributor
337 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

Stoofer - I think that part of it is that with something like the Lira or the French Franc, the prices are so obviously on a different scale that it is obvious that you need to adjust. Prices in pounds are not so off-scale (as people have pointed out, sometimes the pounds equal what we'd pay in dollars, other times they are still close), so you often have to remind yourself that you are not paying in dollars.

I would think that something similar would happen with Brits travelling to North America. Though you have the added "joy" of our additional (rather than built in) taxes.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Just Back: Observations from a Yank; Pt 8 The Cost Illusion

"Are you really sure that American visitors need to be told the exchange rates and how to caluclatre a simple math?"

Stoofer,

I don't think MrMhor1 thread is meant to tell people how to convert sterling to US dollars but rather remind them to do so. As he says, he would look at something that costs £10 and would think that wasn't too bad as he was thinking $10 until he remembered to do the conversion and realised it was $20.

Well, that's how i read it.