We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster again

Wickersley
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Oyster again

I spent a week in London in January this year and purchased 7day visitor pass. Now how do I top up the existing card with another 7 day pass. Is it possible to go to any tube station and do this. I arrive on the 9th July and have tried to top up on line but have been denied. I will travel from Heathrow to Paddington and will stay close to Gloucester Road . Thank you for your help, Chris

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster again

There are thousands of places to do this - stations, newsagants, shops etc.

You need to physically put the card in a machine so the credit can be put on it - hence why its a bit tricky over the internet.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster again

If you signed up online when first getting an Oyster Card then you can top up with Pay As You Go or purchase a travelcard but this doesn't help you.

Having said that it is very easy to top up at any tube station either at the ticket window or at a machine. You can place the card on the yellow reader and follow the instructions although you may feel happier dealing with a human being.

Wickersley
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster again

You can top up your existing Oyster card on the internet. It is activated so it seems once you use it. The reason I can't pay on line ,I think is , I am an English expat. We keep a house in the UK and our local Nat West pay all bills . So I think that there is a problem with our payment billing address being different to our home address. Hope this makes sense to you. I am in the process of trying to sort this out.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster again

Makes perfect sense Chrissie. Don't worry and if you can't get it sorted then you will be fine topping up at Paddington

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster again

Chrissie I wouldn't bother trying to sort it out. As adam says just top it up in Paddington.

Wickersley
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster again

Thank you all for your replies and I will leave this until I get to Paddington. However I wonder if I will still have this problem if I choose to shop on line with other companies in the future. Will still have to sort this out with the bank when I arrive. Chris

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster again

chrissie, shopping on line for goods to be delivered to one address while being billed to another should not be a problem, I do it all the time. I often charge a UK online item to my Canadian credit card and have it delivered to my parents in Spain.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster again

I couldn't get an Oyster card online with USA address. Arriving via Gatwick Express and on to Sloane Square Station, where would be the best place to purchase "a pay as you go" auto top-off card? 20 GPS a good starting balance for 6 days?

T

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,815 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster again

Victoria Underground Station

10. Re: Oyster again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 01:17