We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

Sorry about that.

"The pound has sailed to its highest level against the dollar in 26 years, with experts predicting it could remain about the $2 mark for much of the rest of the year."

I've now idea how or why this has happened, but I'd like to ask how many people have either cancelled or postponed their visits to the UK because of this. How much of a factor is it in people's calculations, when they can alternatively stay and have a great vacation at home in North America?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
162 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

It is unfortunate, indeed, but the dollar has been weak against the GBP for quite some time now. That fact has not impacted my travel plans.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

I read that this morning :-( .

Does put a damper on things but since our trip is only next year I'm hoping for a miracle :-). A road trip coast to coast through America is our alternative.

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

My husband and I are planning a trip in September but we booked all flights and hotels this past spring, when the exchange rate was a little better, so we have had to adjust how much we are saving to be able to pay for this trip. Unless it skyrockets to be higher than the $2 mark, we will probably still go, though it will really affect how many things we'll be able to do or where we can afford to eat while we are there.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

I wish we could lock our hotel rates in. What I did was make the currency calculation on the day I booked, and will compare it to what it is when we go. London is only a small part of our trip, the rest is a cruise to Scotland and Ireland which is a locked in price, so I'm pretty lucky.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

Would it be a fantasy to think the dollar is approaching a low and will rebound?

£1 = $2.01752

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

I think it's a fantasy to hope the dollar rebounds. I've been traveling to London for 12 years and I've seen a steady decline in the dollar. When I started going it was a 1.45/1 ratio. It has just declined from there. There are blips where it rallies but usually only a few pennies worth. I've made 11 trips to Europe and the dollar has been all over the place yet I've had 11 great trips.

There is a wealth of things to do in London that are free or low cost. World class museums free (donations accepted), free noon time concerts at various venues., wandering along the South Bank or thru London's beautiful parks and neighborhoods -free. Or take a walk with Original London Walks walks.com - great introductions to London.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

>>>Would it be a fantasy to think the dollar is approaching a low and will rebound?<<<

Not likely unless the US savings rate were to turn sharply positve, and the enormous federal and current account defecits turned to surpluses. Not something which will happen overnight.

qvp
NC
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

out of curiosity, what is the average hourly salary (minimum wage) for an average worker in the UK? It sounds as if the minimum wage in the UK is higher than the US after currency conversion.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

"I've no idea how or why this has happened, but I'd like to ask how many people have either cancelled or postponed their visits to the UK because of this."

I visited England in June and plan to be in London again in November. I don't plan my vacations by the value of the dollar. Like Bob said, there are lots of free things to see and do in the UK.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US dollar hits a 26-year low against the pound

Given that UK base rates are almost certain to go up again this week, look out for a further rise in the pound/dollar ratio: $2.05 to £1 by next week perhaps?