We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

We will be in London the first weekend of November then taking the Eurostar to Paris on Monday morning at 10:40am. We're staying near Lancaster Gate. How much time should we give ourselves to get to the station on the tube and how long is the boarding process once there? Is it like getting to the airport where you need an extra hour or two to get through customs?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
450 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Would recommend at least 1 1/2 hours because the luggage and security checks can be quite thorough.

Not sure how many of you. If only two of you with small luggage, perhaps easiest to walk to Paddington and take the Bakerloo direct to Waterloo. If more than 2 with luggage, take a taxi.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

The longest wait I've had (in six journeys from Waterloo) at the Eurostar from arrival at Waterloo to clearing security then immigration is 30 minutes. But I would still arrive at least an hour before departure...why risk it?

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Does anyone know when the trains start running from St. Pancras? I thought it was supposed to be in November but have not seen an actual date.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Nov 14th

eurostar.com/UK/…on_the_move.jsp

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Jack: thanks!

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Thanks everyone.

X571 - pardon my ignorance, but what is the Bakerloo? that you recommended we take straight to Waterloo?

London
Level Contributor
450 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Oopps sorry to be so cryptic. It is the Bakerloo line (brown in colour) on the underground, which you can take from Paddington station. It is a direct line to Waterloo station.

Alternatively, you can take the Central line (red) from Lancaster Gate but you have to change at Oxford Circus for the Bakerloo line. Quite a feat to do in the rush hour.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Thanks for clarification x571 (I feel like I'm addressing a secret agent...Agent x571...) I see the "brown" Bakerloo line on my Underground map!

And exactly what hours consititute rush hour... In order to make the 10:40 train, I want to be at Waterloo by 9:40 thereabouts, so I would guess that I'd want to be at Paddington by 8:45 - 9:00am? Rush hour should be winding down by this point shouldn't it?

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Getting through automatic check in (your ticket just passes thru' the machine )and then security at Eurostar is very fast - it is well staffed and only a short distance to the waiting lounge. There are seats, some coffee shops and a few shops .You are then called to board - this is potentially the only bit of queueing , as the wide group of passengers narrows down to 2 or three abreast to go up to the platform (they usually check your ticket again there, to make sure you are getting on the right train.) I usually get there about 40 mins before departure, and then curse the time I have to wait in the lounge (natural early bird/worrywort).

The information staff are very helpful and you can buy your Metro carnets or other travel passes from them - saves time at the other end and it's all in English, if that helps.

More like an upmarket coach station than an airport style departure (though looking sadly run down at the moment, since I suppose they are not going to spend money on a facility they are moving out of.)

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time to arrive at Station for Eurostar?

Addendum - after security there is passport control , of course, with a little bit of queueing, but I've never known it understaffed .