We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
716 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Wondering which tube stations are nearest Flemings-Mayfair and how long the walk? Hoping to take the tube from Gatwick, but 3 ladies with 2 bags each. Is this doable?

Thanks once again!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Nearest tube to Half Moon Street is Green Park. However you need to familarise yourself further with the transport options - the tube does not run to Gatwick. You should take the Gatwick Express or Southern train to Victoria then Victoria Line (or a cab, it's not far) to Green Park.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Green Park is no more than a five minute stroll (if that) from your hotel. The number 8 or 73 buses from Victoria will stop quite close to the station, but if your bags are substantial then do take a taxi from Victoria to the hotel. Most black cabs are licenced for five pax, and there are no surcharges for more than one person in the taxi or for baggage. You'll see the taxi rank when you leave Victoria - there may be a queue of people waiting (depending on time of day) but taxis do swoop in quite frequently.

The Victoria line on the Tube goes to Green Park as well, but it's a deep station, so there are stairs as well as an escalator to get from the train platform to street level.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Thanks, TravellerPlus - just what I needed. I evidently misunderstood about the tube running to Gatwick - thought I read somewhere on here it was only 2 pounds - could that have been from Heathrow?

I appreciate the info re black cabs not charging extra for more than one pax or luggage - think we'll do that all the way.

This forum is a fantastic help, and so appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

You're welcome. Oyster single fare is just £2 from LHR or from Victoria to Green Park - not bad for the trip from LHR but not necessarily a good idea to go one stop. Cash single fares are twice those of Oyster fares - not a bargain at all.

Don't mean to be too forward, but you're not thinking of taking a taxi from Gatwick, are you? £££, even for three of you, plus a rather long slog through sarf London traffic. Taxi from Victoria yes (for about £5-7) but not for a trip from LGW.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Ooopps! Thanks for asking - yes, I was thinking of using black cab LGW to Flemings-Mayfair. I had checked their website for cost, but forgot to convert it to US - 78 pounds divided by 3 isn't too bad, but double that is! So, on to Plan B............

Will be in London for 6 days, so I'm assuming will need a Travelcard on Oyster for districts 1 & 2 plus train fare from LGW to Victoria via Southern or Gatwick Express? Can both these be bought at the train station at LGW? How far is the train from baggage claim? I'm assuming the trains are usually faster than buses? We want to do an open-top bus tour soon after arrival. No time to give jet lag a chance!

Thanks for saving me $$$ - that would have been a nasty surprise to start off our trip!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Fares for the GEX are about £14 per person single (one way); a ticket with Southern costs about £9 single. You can buy these tickets at the rail station at Gatwick, no need to book in advance. The GEX takes about 30 minutes from airport to city; Southern trains maybe ten or 15 minutes more. The rail station is linked to Gatwick South terminal; if you arrive at LGW North you can take the free monorail from one terminal building to the other.

If you're going to take a taxi from Victoria to your hotel, you may want to wait and buy your seven day Travelcards at Green Park station. The Tube station at Victoria is down a flight of stairs from the mainline station, and is often very busy. There will be at least one staffed ticket window at Green Park where you can buy your Travelcards, so you needn't rely on using a ticket machine.

I've seen the hop on hop off tour buses stop on the south side of Piccadilly (where there are two stops for London's red buses as well), and I'm almost completely certain that there is a kiosk selling tickets for those buses there too - look for it near the newsagent's kiosk. In case you need sustenance after your long journey, there's a big Marks & Spencer Simply Food right above Green Park station and a Boots not too far along Piccadilly, in case you need drugstore supplies.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Perhaps we should change your name to Insightful Traveller as the info you're providing is perfect! We will most certainly be ready for sustenance after crossing the pond, and a market will be perfect as we'll be in a hurry to start site seeing. Thanks also for the warning about crowds at Victoria - will get Oysters at Green Park.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

P.S. Any secrets for avoiding the que at London Eye on a nice, sunny day? Assuming there will be such a thing by Sept.........

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

September days in London can be gorgeous - sunny and mild, but with that crisp little snap in the air that starts to appear at about 5.00pm - you may get a week of warm and mild weather. But there might be some grey days as well - sounds as if you're prepared.

Crowds will be smaller in Sept as well, so you shouldn't have to battle through hordes of people to get to the Eye. Wait until closer to your travel dates to see what the forecast looks like, so you can plan with a bit more detail (that' s what I'd do, at least. I like the weather forecasts from the BBC's web page and weatherunderground.com).

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Will definitely check weather closer to travel date. I was familiar with BBC's, but not the weatherunderground.com site - thanks again for such helpful info.

I've made an executive decision for our group to use GXE to Victoria and a cab on to the hotel. After the flight across, we'll be a mess - I'll sleep all the way and just be waking up, Earlene will doze and snack all the way, and it's Judy's first trip abroad and she's hyper anyway, so she'll be bouncing off the walls. GXE just sounds easier, faster, and a bit better configured to handle the bags. Now, to be sure I understand the ticket. We can purchase this ticket onboard, but it doesn't go on an oyster card. We purchase an Oyster card for 1&2 at Green Park when we head out after freshening up (hopefully awake by now). Can I put the return trip via GXE at departure on the ticket I buy onboard for first trip, on the Oyster card, or buy it when we get onboard for GXE? I'm confused re the difference in Oyster (know it's 7 day or PAYG) and Travelcard - is Travelcard just a generic word for the Oyster card, or are there actually two types of fares paid for on it? I'm too tired to think tonight...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flemings-Mayfair - how far to nearest tube station?

Lucky you and Earlene, to be able to sleep on the plane - and Judy ... well, she'll just have to cope (!).

GEX tickets are completely separate from Travelcards, as Gatwick is outside the Transport for London zones. You can buy Express Class returns for just £26.80 - book online at www.gatwickexpress.com or wait and buy tickets at the airport. If you purchase in advance you'll be able to collect your tickets from a machine at the airport, using a confirmation code you'll get with booking. It's really easier to do than to describe, but if you want to wait and buy tickets at LGW, then that will work all right as well.

Travelcards. One and three day cards are sold as paper tickets, but your seven day card will be sold to you as an Oyster card. Oyster is a method of payment, rather than a ticket in and of itself. With your seven day card (£23.20 for zones 1 and 2) you can add a bit of PAYG money if you want to, and if you think you'll travel outside the paid for zones. You can add that PAYG money at any time, either asking a staff member or by using a ticket machine with an Oyster touch pad on it (you'll see them) - for this latter, simply touch your card to the pad and you'll see the possible tasks lined up on the screen.

Travelcards will allow you unlimited use of the Tube, DLR and (if you wish) National Rail services in the paid for zones, plus bus use in all six zones. Using the cards couldn't be simpler - touch in and touch out at Tube and DLR stations and touch in on buses - that's it. You'll get the hang of things once you start to use your card. Oh - you can pay for your Travelcard with cash or credit card.

Hop on hop off buses are another ticket, as the buses are operated by private companies.