We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife spotted in central London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Topic
Wildlife spotted in central London

We saw a fox running across Victoria Street by the Sainsburys supermarket at about 5 AM and numerous gray mice running around a mans feet on the platform at Gloucester Road Underground Station

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

Urban foxes are now a common sight even in Central London. In the suburbs they are more common still, people's back gardens being an ideal place for them, as they can go from one to the other at will. As I lived near woodland until recently the area was full of foxes, and it was not uncommon to see five or six of them congrating. One thing I noticed, at least in my area, was that over the last few years they have become far less timid. Twenty years ago they would have fled as soon as they saw a human being, but now the often just look at you as though they own the place.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

On our last trip during a London Walks, my daughter was very excited to see a fox in St. James Park. And then very disappointed when our guide shooed it away.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

There are plenty of fox dens along the Metropolitan line, but what I'd really like to see is one of those Muntjack deers (not sure how to spell it) that I hear live along some of the green corridors of the tube. Anyone seen one? Is it on the District line?

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

That Sainsbury's is 24 hour, I think, or at least open late and early - we have sophisticated foxes in London who do not hunt but do their shopping like anybody else...

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

If you enjoy seeing animal life, have a stroll around St James Park, near Horse Guards Parade- and see some pelicans, and squirrels up close!

London
Level Contributor
151 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

Aah, the pidgeon-eating pelicans in St. James - quite a shock to many children.

Here in the Docklands we have lots of birds: ducks, coots, cormorants, geese, swans etc. They nest here. Foxes are very common and indeed quite brazen - they just run around without paying attention to people. I once saw a fox running through Canary Wharf with a huge rat in its mouth at about 8 pm, when the area was full of people.

We even have seals visiting from time to time. I heard a story that there was a seal living by the Billinsgate fish market and every morning the traders would feed it fresh fish. Apparently it was also quite picky about the type of fish it ate.

There is also a bit of a wildlife sanctuary on top of the Barclays tower - they have a "living roof" where they attracted a lot of insects and birds, particluarly the black redstart. There were also reports of hawks nesting in the area.

As for the tube mice - they are quite a regular feature, and I am amazed at how high they can jump - I have see quite a few jump onto platforms from the tracks. The greatest "mouse activity" I have seen was in Marble Arch and Moorgate stations. But they live everywhere

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

It is quite common for pigeons to get on the Tube at Richmond and get off at Kew Gardens.

Foxes are more numerous here than empty parking spaces, and we have badgers as well. My neighbour came face to face with one recently and it outstared her.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

And the flocks of parakeets in Bushy Park - they love to sit in my neighbour's magnolia tree.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

Glad to see this post before we leave for London. If I saw a fox in a populated area I would have assumed it was rabid. That is all you hear about foxes around here.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildlife spotted in central London

Valise, there's a group on Facebook set up specifically because of rumours of London parakeet culls. The group is called Save the London Parakeets - Especially the Ealing Residents

You could join it!