We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British War Bride (83)+Grandaugher (25) to visit... help!

Washington DC...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
British War Bride (83)+Grandaugher (25) to visit... help!

My Nana was an English war bride who came to America during WWII to marry my grandfather 60 yrs ago.... 2 generations later we've decided we want to make a trip back to England to tour and enjoy her countryland.

I am her 25 yr old grandaughter who is researching this exploration..... I need help! Where or what should we do? Are there tours or anything of the such for a duo like us?

Keep in mind... she's a senior (not TOO much activity) and I till wants to have fun whilst traveling! (Thus I don't want to be on a senior bus.... and I'm sure she doesn't want to be on a party bus!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British War Bride (83)+Grandaugher (25) to visit... help!

Look at the more up-market tours, like Insight and Globus. They tend to have quite a range of ages on them and good accomodation with lifts (elevators) in the hotels. There are lots of young Aussies and Kiwis working in London and it is almost a tradition to go visit your children or grandchildren and go travelling (at parents/grandparents expense, of course) We took our daughter on a coach tour in Turkey and there was a young man with his grandfather and another with his mother. There were also some young couples and middle aged couples and our daughter had a really good time. When we did another Europe tour I remember there were a couple of three generational groups. My friend took her elderly dad to Ireland on a tour and if he was tired he would just skip the particular activity.

I would fly with an airline that can give you full assistance at the airports as I think that is the worse part for the elderly.

I wouldn't worry about having to get up early as older people actually need a lot less sleep than young. A tour gets you away from the tedious things like having to queue to check in at hotels and you dont need to worry about luggage and what time things are open. Also if you get just a little sick of Nana's discussions of her friends' health problems (my mum is the same age and I'm sure American Nanas like the same conversations as Aussie Nanas) there are always other people to talk to.

It is wonderful that you are doing this for your Grandmother; she will have something to look forward to and will treasure the time with you for the rest of her life.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British War Bride (83)+Grandaugher (25) to visit... help!

Is there anywhere she must see - old home, where they met etc. ?

Start with that and work outwards. I am sure people here can recommend routes and companies based on that.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British War Bride (83)+Grandaugher (25) to visit... help!

A trip to the Cabinet war rooms and the Imperial war museum could be a 'trip down memory lane'... especially the latter which has a great collection of photos, letters, stories and articles from that era.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British War Bride (83)+Grandaugher (25) to visit... help!

I agree - take a look at a tour - Globus, Tauck and Maupintours are the high end ones. They will get you to and from your hotel, handle luggage and they are pretty good with travelers of all ages. We took Globus to Italy and we had elder people, younger couples and even families with teens on the bus.

In London, you may want to sign up for the London day tours through Premium, Astral (smaller Buses) Golden or Evans Tours. That should limit the walking you would have to do.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British War Bride (83)+Grandaugher (25) to visit... help!

Are you meeting any cousins - was she originally from London? Any parts of England that you particularly want to see?

Calgary
Level Contributor
422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British War Bride (83)+Grandaugher (25) to visit... help!

How wonderful! Have a great time ladies. toffee

7. Re: British War Bride (83)+Grandaugher (25) to visit... help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 07:20