We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

Findlay ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

Hello All, My husband and I went to Italy for 2 weeks and took the advice from the forums about dress. In London during the first week of Sept. is is still warm enough for short sleeves? Also, we never wore our tennis shoes in Italy. Only nice walking shoes. Is that correct for London? Do the ladies there wear sundresses if it's warm? I won't let me husband wear shorts if that's a no in London. Do I need to cover my sholders in the Louvre with the same respect as I would in a church? Thanks, Nancy

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

The first week of September should be warm - but there are no guarantees. Only you know your own tolerance for heat and cold - have a look at the forecasts in the last week of August (unless you will have left for your holiday by then) to determine if you'll be chilly or warm in the predicted temps.

Shoes - it's another story altogether. Ideally, you should feel comfortable wearing what you wish to wear, esp on your feet. If you're happy in walking shoes and if you think you look presentable, then by all means wear them. Sundresses you will see aplenty, esp if the weather is still clement.

I don't think the Louvre has a dress code - although seeing numbers of frighteningly chic Parisiennes is enough to make me wish I'd worn something different on some days in Paris.

Wear clothes in which you'll feel comfortable and happy. Then you can concentrate on having a wonderful holiday.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,291 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

London may be the most multi-cultural place on the planet but you will look live an American tourist whatever you wear.

However if you want to tone it down a bit don't bring anything to do with a US college and don't wear baseball caps unless under the age of 16. And get rid of the fanny pack - not only is a dead giveawy it's also a magnet for the local thieves

Otherwise wear what you like - the Louvre BTW is in Paris and the fashion police won't arrest you for having uncovered shoulders in the British Museum

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

I've been to London in mid-September and had very pleasant weather. Ended up carrying my jacket around instead of wearing it and was glad I only had a t-shirt underneath.

Nice to "meet" someone from Findlay. I used to live in Bowling Green.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

"In London during the first week of Sept. is is still warm enough for short sleeves?"

yes on the 1st, no on the 2nd and 3rd, possibly on the 4th, yes for the rest of the week.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

99% of the people walking around London these days are tourists. You are a tourist. Open your mouth and say one word and everyone will know. Who cares? You are there to relax and have fun. Wear whatever is comfortable, shoes/shorts, whatever. When I travel, I wear what's comfortable...sneakers, jeans and shorts (where allowed.) Glad I don't go on vacation to impress the other tourists! =)

London in September is usually quite warm, but as you always hear, layers are always best! Have fun and concentrate on what you are seeing and learning, not what other people think of your clothes.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

nannita: Lots of people wear tennis shoes all over Europe so go with what makes your feet feel comfortable.

I wear a plain (no logo) baseball cap and get asked for directions all over Europe so if you want to wear one, do so -- it won't mark you as a tourist.

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

Nannita, You have nothing to worry about blending in believe me Londoners are more taken up with getting about without hassle, spotting tourists is way down on their list of priorities. Shorts for men are not so strange with the warmer weather, September is a lovely time to visit London, be prepared to be amazed how green everything is. Take good walking shoes, avoid anything with a thin sole, London is a walking city you will probably find you have walked 5-8 miles in a single day.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

Just returned yesterday from a week in London. First of all, from 9-5 its mostly tourists anyhow, so you will fit right in. Well dressed workers are the ones easier to spot. Unless planning to forego taking pictures, your camera will give you away anyhow.

Other than that, what I did notice were LOTS of jeans, but not baggy or cargo style and not torn. Solid color slacks, not prints. Mostly dark colors, no white slacks were noticed at all but as weather warms up that may change; same with dresses-solid or subtle designs-no bright floral prints. Women also wore crop pants, no shorts.

Exercise outfits and warm-ups saved for trips to gym and jogging. As for sneakers, I found some Londoners wore Ked style sneakers with slacks or jeans, but not trainers unless they were running. No flip-flops except some teens. Boat shoes worn by some male tourists, including my DH who couldn't care less, and he also wore his gym sneakers by the way.

No loud print or plaid shirts noticed. Well fitted white T-shirts were popular. Sweaters( button, Vneck, crew), jackets, trench coats-no sweatshirts spotted by me except for a few nicely styled well-fitted designer styled one. Hoodies rare. The only shorts I saw, were on a few men who did stand out as tourists.

Last year I was in Paris, and regular tourist attire was fine for the Louvre. Similar clothing styles worn as above, but skirts were also poular and less jeans. Also more accessories worn to set off outfits.

In both cities, night attire is dictated by your activity and dining choices. Hope this helps.

T

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

As Tricia says - in the main visitor areas you will look out of place if you don't look like a tourist.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: I don't want to look like a tourist. What should I wear?

"99% of people walking around London these days are tourists"

?????????

I doubt it's as high as that but in any event remove 'London' and replace with 'Westminster' :-)

Other areas of London are living and working areas, it would be good advice for visitors to check out some of the burbs. as well to get a real feel of London IMO.

There have been a couple of threads regarding knowing London as a regular visitor, what I belive is meant, is knowing the City of Westminster.

When eating out or vistiting areas outside of westminster, some dress sense is desirable IMO. Matters not a jot when touring 'the sites'.

Stoofer