We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather forecasts (aka guesses)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Weather forecasts (aka guesses)

For all those who persist in asking what the weather will be like here several months ahead, bear in mind that our completely useless forecasting service cant even say what the weather will be like in a few hours time, let alone next July or whenever.

I have been closely watching the Met Office web site for the past couple of days as we were going to be going out on a boat.

On Friday, Sunday was forecast heavy rain,as was Monday. On Saturday, Sunday was forecast cloudy, with light rain monday. This morning, we were forecast overcast but clear, now, as its bucketing with rain, we are "forecast" heavy rain now, and no rain monday.

Or in other words, the only bit they got right was the one I could have got by looking out of the window, and the forecast for Monday has changed every time I've looked at it. No doubt one of their guesses might be right, especially the one derived using the 'looking out of the window' technique.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,372 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather forecasts (aka guesses)

Anyway as the great Billy Connoly says about the weather in Scotland "If you are sick of the weather stick around as it will have changed in 20 minutes"

rochester, michigan
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather forecasts (aka guesses)

Ronald, that must be a universal - they say that about the weather in Michigan too. Used to make me so irritated when I first moved here...:(

Joe, you are so funny, and so right! My DD asked just this weekend about the weather forecasters and I told her they go to college and get a degree in meteorology so that they can guess like the rest of us, but sound more complicated.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather forecasts (aka guesses)

BBC forecast for the southeast at 8.00am - Dry if cloudy all day

Actual weather in Watford at 9.00am - Heavy Rain.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather forecasts (aka guesses)

Forecasting as we all (well most of us) accept is not an exact science yet I am still amazed when people bluster on the news about not being warned when bad weather hits them.

Alton, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather forecasts (aka guesses)

Wait, does this mean I can't order nice weather for this coming weekend as my friends & I arrive Friday? (lol)! I know what everyone means about the crazy weather & the forecasts. Where I live in the midwest sometimes it rains on one side of town but not the other - and this is a small town!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather forecasts (aka guesses)

"Where I live in the midwest sometimes it rains on one side of town but not the other "

Thats OK, it rains on both sides of the town here ...all bl**dy day long :-(

7. Re: Weather forecasts (aka guesses)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 22:20