We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

MD
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

We will arrive in London with our two kids ( 9yo ,7yo) @10 p.m. on a Saturday night. Too early to go to bed while still on U.S. east coast time. Is there an exciting place to go to let them blow off steam and see some sights around midnight? Trafalgar Sq., Covenant Garden? Suggestions?

Our lodging is Earls Court area.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

If you're arriving at 10pm, it'll probably be heading towards 11.30pm or later by the time you arrive at your hotel. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be out wandering the streets with my two at that time of night, especially on a first night in a foreign country.

I think I'd just let them watch TV for a bit, and then encourage sleep, with an early start the following morning.

Others may disagree, of course!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

I agree with the previous poster. Arriving at 10 and by the time you get your luggage and get checked in it will already be close to midnight which will make it about 7PM MD (if that is where you are from) time. The travel time always wears you out so I would no be surprised if they were a bit tired. Some late night TV would be in the cards I would think.

Also, if any of you are hungry, you won't find much to eat at that time of night so you may wish to pre-arrange with your hotel to have some food and drinks (water for sure) waiting for you. Tell them what you would like because if you let them decide, you may not get what you expect.

Public transport is sparse at that time of night but you could always hire a cab for a drive around town??

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,976 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

"Water for sure"?? Oh please don't tell me you can't drink the tap water in London. Hate to hijack the thread with this quick question, but we have not bought into the bottled water SCAM here in the US, are you saying we'll have to get bottled water there?

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

Don't think you will be able to entertain your kids at that hour. If you didn't have them with you, you could still head to Ronnie Scott's jazz club and take in some great music until the early hours of the morning. But, in the absence of a babysitter, I guess that this may not be possible.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,287 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

There are plenty of bars open till midnight/1am (some later on a Saturday) esp around Soho but they're not the kind of places you'll want to be with young children. Try NOT to sleep on the plane - by the time you get to your accommodation tiredness should be taking over - always try and get into the local timezone asap - it lessens jet lag.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

warmwinds - the water is safe to drink (unlike in Gloucester this week), but it may or may not be pleasant, according to your taste buds.

Also, water is different everywhere you go, and some people react differently to different water. Sure, drink tap water, but if your body is used to Evian, why risk upsetting it while on holiday?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,346 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

Tap water fine, but personally wherever in world, and even at home prefer bottled. US water particularly has yukky taste; too many minerals or something. or chlorinated?

Stick to bottled as different countries can upset tummies, not because unsafe, but because different amounts of minerals etc in it.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

If you just want to go for a walk I see no reason why you cannot take the children out at that time of night. Their body clocks will be telling them it's not late, and in my experience going to bed much earlier than your body wants is the worst way of trying to overcome jetlag and could mean that you spend precious hours of your holiday looking at a hotel room ceiling.

Of course, it might not be appropriate to take them through the crowded, partying streets of Soho and Covent Garden at that time of night, but the quieter areas of Kensington and Bayswater make a pleasant stroll at any time of day or night. It would also be feasible to stroll from Parliament Square, along Whitehall up as far as Trafalgar Square (where the bustle begins). On that short walk they would see Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Big Ben and the Admiralty building. Half way along Whitehall, on your right, you'll also see the Banqueting House, in front of which Charles I was beheaded. I'm sure they'll sleep soundly after that.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

The water's fine, but it's unlikely to be ice cold and sparkling coming out of a hotel tap. Why not grab some goodies at the airport? Take them along to the hotel.

Do the kids have favorite books, etc? Pack something in your carryon to surprise and entertain them for a few hours.

Getting off the plane and out of the airport can involve a lot of standing around and waiting that will either energize your kids with frustration or wear them down.

Oh... I'm guessing you're arriving at Heathrow. I can't recall if you'll have access to restrooms after you deplane and before you get in the potentially long, long passport lines. You might want to organize your family's behavior onboard accordingly just before they make everyone sit down and buckle up for the final approach.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arriving @ 10 P.M.: what to do?

I think the idea of a walk near some of the sights at night, like the London Eye and Bib Ben is a good one.

However, do be aware that the Tube will close at some point (check www.tfl.gov.uk for details), and (black London) taxis can be difficult to find late at night. There will be minicabs around, but they may be unlicensed which means you are risking being in an uninsured vehicle with a dubious driver.