We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PTI Kensington or Kings Cross or other

Toronto
Level Contributor
382 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
PTI Kensington or Kings Cross or other

The PTI at County Hall is full. Which of the above would people suggest. any other PTI

must have 2 twin bedse clean and safe with very easy access to sights/shopping ie Oford Circus area. My recollection of shopping out by Harrods etc is very expensive- I could have a faulty memory!!!!!!!!!!!

2 of us- 13 year old daughter and self. short trip 4-5 days. Main plan sightseeing and shopping. Like nice (but not too expensive places to eat) but not into nightlife, much

I have been to London several times, but not for more than 15 years. daughter never.

Not too interested in high end shopping as our dollar is so bad.

Then leaving for Paris on Eurostar

Flying in from heathrow

any help appreciated

debbie

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Liquid History Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bike Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Undiscovered London
Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,559 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PTI Kensington or Kings Cross or other

It depends on your tolerance for using buses and / or Tube to get around, and what you'd like to have nearby.

The King's Cross PTI is close to King's Cross mainline station, in what may look like a construction zone but is in fact a well oiled machine. The refurbishment of the neighbourhood is moving on apace, as St Pancras station will become the new home to the Eurostar in November. The area is home to the usual suspects found around rail stations: variety stores, kebab shops and fast food outlets, internet cafes, laundrettes, a betting shop or two, newsagents and the occasional hoarded-up building. There's a feeling of anticipation in the air, though, with much to look forward to.

From King's Cross you can get to Oxford Circus in about ten minutes, as it's just three stops along on the Victoria line. The Piccadilly line will take you to Piccadilly Circus or Green Park - just two possibilities. Buses are numerous, as previously outlined. The rather genteel streets of Bloomsbury are close by, with the Angel not far away going east.

The PTI Kensington sits about two minutes' walk from Earl's Court station - leave the station, walk along Earl's Court Gardens, and there it is, where E C Gardens ends at Knaresborough Place. The hotel sits in a residential area, and although part of the Marriott Kensington is across the road from the hotel, neither look lost among the houses and flats. Earl's Court Road is a beehive of activity, with small shops, services, cafes and pubs along the length, as well as a Boots and M&S Simply Food.

The number 74 bus stops on the Cromwell Road, also about two minutes from the PTI - it's come from Marble Arch, Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge and South Ken to get to the hotel. The 74 zips down the Earl's Court Road as well - very handy. The little C1 bus comes from Kensington, stopping in front of the station on its way towards Victoria.

If you cross the Cromwell Road (towards Sainsbury's - massive 24hr store) you'll find a rather smart area of big houses and flats with hidden green spaces - nice to go for a walk and have a few aspirational daydreams as you head towards Kensington High Street.

King's Cross is a bit more central, but Earl's Court is a slightly more cosy 'hood. I'd choose either, but I might go for King's Cross if being in the midst of things was more important than the immediate surroundings.

The Kensington property does have some rooms that face the Tube lines coming from Gloucester Road. I very much like the sound of trains on the track, but you may not, if you choose that hotel - ask for a room facing Knaresborough Place, as it's pretty quiet.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PTI Kensington or Kings Cross or other

You'll want to check with the hotel if they actually have twin beds. I contacted the PTI Kensington by fax last week and they wrote back to me that their twin rooms are a double bed and a sofa bed. Not 2 singles.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PTI Kensington or Kings Cross or other

I'm not a big fan of the Kings Cross area. I stayed at the Kensington PTI and would echo what TP says. It certainly has a much more neighbourhood feel with lots of local shops and restaurants along with good transport links. You're about a twenty minute walk from Harrods too so easy walking distance to a lot of sights.

The family rooms there do have a double bed and a sofa bed. I believe you can request a room with two singles though if it's just your daughter and you travelling. (Its the same price for all rooms though so you might prefer a bigger bed each)

My review here

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d286…

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,952 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PTI Kensington or Kings Cross or other

I'd also go for the PTI Kensington over Kings Cross but it could also be worth looking for somewhere a little nearer to the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street where the better stores (Selfridges, the flagship M&S) are located.

The Jurys Clifton Ford is a 3 star full service hotel and worth checking out although deals can be a bit thin on the ground. The Thistle Marble Arch and The Cumberland divide opinion but the location is very good.

The Sumner in Upper Berkeley Street is getting excellent reviews and is smaller and more intimate. Again rates are higher than at the PTI but they have a deal at the moment that includes breakfast (but not VAT at 17 1/2%).