We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

First though, I just wanted to thank everyone on this board for all of the information posted daily. I'm one of those that post occasionally and lurk obsessively, and the information we've gotten from this board has been extremely helpful. And now that our trip is finally getting near (less than three weeks YAY!!), I would like to make sure I've got this right:

Stand to the right, walk to the left.

Stand in line to the right before boarding so those exiting can do so.

No eating.

The Tube is not the place for social hour.

No loitering. Either get where you're going or get out of the way.

Anything else I should know?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,359 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

Yeah, don't stand obliviously at the top of escalators looking at where to go next when there are hundreds of people accumulating behind you with nowhere to go like a couple did to me the other week :-)

if you need to get your bearings stand well away from the escalators to allow people to pass.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

The most important rule of all is to let people get off a train before you get on. It's common sense really, as there won't be room to get on until they've got off, and it will delay the train setting off if people have to push their way through a load of others who've just boarded. It's probably this that makes tourists stand out from regular users, and it's not only foreign visitors to London who do it. Parties with lots of children seem to be the worst, though there are also lots of adults who should know better.

Having said that, in my own experienceI Americans are better at this kind of etiquette than some of our Continental cousins.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

Don't try and take two large suitcases on at 445pm :-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

Some escalators on the Tube have the sign "Dogs must be carried".

So, if you are using the Tube, make sure you take a dog with you, so you can carry it. These can be hired by the day from Battersea Dog Home.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

You can eat - people do, just avoid nasty smelly food. If London suddenly becomes a furnace (which can happen), be sure to carry a bottle of water on the tube and then just go with the sweaty flow.

You can look at people, but you need to do it in a cunning way that implies that you are reading the adverts above their head.

If you have heavy luggage or a pushchair and there are stairs, stand at a non blocking point at the bottom/top of stairs and look sad. Eventually someone will help you.

Don't be afraid to ask station staff for advice. They will help you.

Have a lovely time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

It is acceptable to speak - the most common phrase heard is ''veyoufinishedwiththatMetro?', with reference to the free paper you'll see being read on many trains.

And please do pull out of traffic if you need a bit of time. Most people wouldn't stop their cars in the middle of a highway to figure out their next move, so why would they do it at a Tube station? It's not a way to win friends or influence people.

The best way to out yourself as a visitor is to hang on to either your Travelcard or a Tube map as if it were the touchstone of all wisdom. At the same time, don't hide your Travelcard (whether paper or Oyster) and then stand at the gates fiddling around to find it. That's what pockets are for.

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

If you are wearing a rucksack try and take it off when you are in the tube carriage. If you can, carry it by your legs ( obvioussly this might not work for monster rucksack!!) It will take up so much less space down there and you won't take someones head off when you turn around!! Speaking from personal experience, got a black eye once.

On a similar vein if you are pulling a wheelie case be aware of the people behind you especially when turning a corner.

Re 'SOcial Hour' why not invent some scurrilous gossip with your friends and talk about it on the tube, the more extreme the better. Look out for the reactions of the other travellers!!

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

Don't get off the Tube and stop stone dead, when you are looking for which way to go to transfer or exit, or everyone else will pile into the back of you.

If I'm transferring lines I try to see which way to go while the train pulls into the station if at all possible, from the signs on the tube walls, they are above your head if you were waiting for the train, so I know straight away which way to go.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
78 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

If you really want to look like a local:

1. Look exceptionally bored at all times, particularly when listening to your I-Pod.

2. Read a well thumbed, battered paperback whilst standing, sitting and walking - preferably something utterly random or achingly worthy. Something in Polish or by Proust is perfect.

3. Never, ever make eye contact with anyone.

4. If a beggar or the skinny chap that frequents the Northern Line pretending to be Elvis get onto your carriage - pretend immediately that they do not exist. See steps 1.and 2. for guidance.

5. Stand in the middle of each carriage and not by the doors. Being a Local, you know that you actually have more standing room that way, as people can only crush you on two sides instead of four.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Verifying tube etiquette to avoid international incident

<<< Having said that, in my own experienceI Americans are better at this kind of etiquette than some of our Continental cousins. >>>

Perhaps it's fear at the thought of having to deal with a rugby scrum