We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

I was going to make a list of what I thought I knew about eating at pubs, and then realized I could only put one thing on the list, and that was that you order from the bar. So here's a list of questions instead:

Do you seat yourself?

Do you pick the food up at the bar as well? Do you just watch for it, or are you notified somehow?

I'm assuming you pay at the bar, but after you order? After you get food?

And, of course, if I'm missing anything...thanks!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

In my experience, its simply a matter of ordering and paying at the the bar or some designated area then finding your own seat. Staff is usually good about finding you and bringing the order when its ready.

And if you are just drinking, instead of a tip you can order one for the bartender if they have provided exceptional service.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

It depends from place to place, but usually they will often ask you what table you are sitting at. Therefore, when you enter the pub, locate a table, investigate whether it has a number on it, head to the bar, order your food and tell them what table number (or rough area) you are sitting in, then go and sit down. Then they will bring you your food. You can get your drinks at the same time and take them with you to your table. You usually pay at the time of ordering.

Usually they bring you your cutlery, but sometimes you get them yourself. Sometimes they bring you condiments and sometimes you get it yourself from a central point.

Sometimes this and sometimes that. You'll work it all out.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

It's difficult isn't it.

Basically some countries have a non-tipping culture in bars (e.g. Britain, Holland) while in others you are expected to tip (e.g. France, Belgium). And of course, many of the foreigners currently working in British pubs may not understand this either, or may pretend not to :)

Brits visiting America often don't understand this, so it's a very good idea to check.

You go to the bar to order any drinks and meals and pay when you make the order. You take the drinks away with you and have to return to the bar when you re-order drinks.

There are no fixed rules about meals - if it's a small place then they'll usually call out the meal and you come and collect it. If it's a larger place such as a Wetherspoons pub then they'll ask you for the table number as marked on the table and will bring it to you.

In any case, don't tip - it makes us native Londoners look bad.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

Thanks everyone.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

If you walk into a pub and the tables are set, you are not in a true pub but a gastro pub or brasserie and generally wait to be seated. Otherwise just seat yourself before going to the bar. We always had food brought to us, but if in doubt you can always ask when you place the order.

T

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

Once you order, some pubs will give you a wooden spoon with a number on it. This is so the waiter can find you again with the food. It is not for eating with.

Forgive my ignorance, but are there no pubs in Minnesota (or the USA)? Or, if there are some, they have very different rules?

I mean, if you go into a bar, do you ask the barmaid where you can sit? Or do you just choose a table? Thinking about it, I can't recall seeing anyone eat in a bar in any of the US TV shows that we import. No thats a lie- in "Cheers", there are always guys sitting at the bar, but there's waitresses wandering about with food in the background. How do those people order food?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,339 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

All pubs are different.

Best wait until you find one you like, and observe what's going on whilst supping a pint.

Stoofer

Gloucestershire UK
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

Go to the bar and ask what the procedure is for the ordering, purchase and serving of food. Please do not feel foolish, I am a Brit, eats lots of times in pubs and generally I ask.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

I agree, it is like here where every bar and coffee shop has a different method of ordering and collecting; numbers, buzzers, calling out names, displayed numbers on the wall. Just ask!

I do wonder where they come up with them all.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,711 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oh, and last minute pub questions too...

where do they get it all from?

Tripadvisor forums by the looks of it.....