We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Days 5 & 6

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Days 5 & 6

On Monday morning, we took our friends to Victoria as they were going back to Spain. They took the 10:00 coach to Stansted and we took a 38 bus to the British Museum, where we spent the whole morning. We wanted to see the Greek area, the Parthenon Galleries, but Ana (she’s 4) loved the vases, so we had a look at the painted figures on them before heading for the mummies, which they enjoyed a lot.

We went to the library (turn right through the shop just as you enter the museum) to get the kid’s trails. We got the Shiva Dance one, so we went to room 33 to follow it. It was great fun to see the girls when they pretended to be Shiva dancing with her four arms. We found most of the 10 must-see objects, including the Easter Island statue, in a room full of coloured costumes and next to the turquoise serpent and the Rosetta.

We went then for lunch to Kingsway and then to Neal Street (we liked a lot Seven Dials and Neal’s Yard), Monmouth Street and then got a tube at Leicester Square to the Science Museum, where we get on timw for a 2 hours visit that the girls really enjoyed, specially the interactive things that they could touch, even though they were at a museum!!!!! (we were all the time telling them that you can’t touch things at museums). And I ha time to pick up some books I had ordered on the Internet to be delivered to the bookshop there.

We still had time to go to Oxford Street to run errands for a friend of ours.

On Tuesday, our las tday in London, we started the day doing some shopping at Sainbury’s t get things to get back home and then we get on the tube and the DLR to spend the day at Greenwich. We saw the Royal Naval College. The chapel and the Painted Hall are really impressive and they have a funny leaflet on the hall explaining the things for the kids, which we really enjoyed reading. Walking and playing at the park was relaxing before having lunch in an outdoor seating area in a pub there (The Gate Clock). Lovely sunny day at Greenwich.

But, we still had time for more. We didn’t want to get the most of our last day in London, so we took a bus to Tower Bridge as our daughters wanted to cross it on foot and it was really worthwhile. The views of the City Hall and the Gerkhin are so good from there, as well as the ones of the Tower and the Thames of course.

Then, back on a 15 bus (I think it is one of the most touristic ones) to do last shopping in Oxford Street.

It was supposed to be the end of the day (20:30) but I really wanted to give myself a whim and see the Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament at night, so we palyed a game with the girls and headed there. We got such a great view from the other side of Westminster Bridge that it seemed we were not so tired and we were really exhausted after the tiring week.

On Wednesday we took the bus to Victoria at 9:15 and the Terravisoin coach at 10:00. went to check our luggagge and to security. We didn’t realise that you can’t take jam on the hand luggagge, so we haven’t enjoyed an English breakfast today at home... Plane was on time and relatives waiting at the airport.

GREAT TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Malta
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

WOW! Congratulations on all the reports. You really kept your kids in mind while organising your days. It reminds me of our first visit to London with the kids two years ago. My reasoning at the time was: keep the kids happy and the trip should be a success. And it was.

The advantage of London over any other place I've been to so far is that London is so child-friendly. Anywhere you go, you can find activity packs and trails dedicated to children. It's so much easier organising a trip when you know there is always something to keep the kids from becoming bored.

In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves so much and thanks for a couple of ideas.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Lovely trip reports. Ramón, and I am so glad you made the most of London's parks. María will certainly remember her birthday for years to come. I think the girls well deserved the treats they got for doing all that walking!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

well done Ramon for introducing your daughters to London in such a positive way and showing how a family can get a lot of London. Once again - a positive attitude leads to positive results. (Hope you've add this TR to the stickies)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Lovely trip reports, Ramon. Glad your daughter had a great birthday over here too. Children's activity packs and trails are a Godsend, in my opinion.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

These are such good trip reports especially if you have children. Ramon you should be proud of yourself for putting together such a fantastic trip for all your family. It just goes to show you what can be done. Thank you for taking the time to tell us all.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Very good reports, Ramon. The true sign of a good holiday is when the sites, sounds and people encountered help us to re-discover the wonder we once had as children. Through your children's eyes, you really seem to have added to the depth and value of your own personal experience of the various museums and sights. You have given your kids a holiday they will never forget.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Your excitement shone through in every sentence. Thanks for posting and I hope you told Maria that she had to share her birthday gifts with all the nice people on TALF!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

You certainly seemed to have bought the good weather from Spain with you. Thanks for the great trip reports.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

I've very much enjoyed each of your positive well structured reports.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Thanks, Ramon! We will be in London in less than two weeks with our two children (ages 11 and 13) and I had feared that we wouldn't get to do as much as I hope in four short days. Your trip reports, with many ins and outs and flexible changes, have encouraged me to think that we can do this!! And my hubby would love to go to Greenwich but I wasn't sure the kids would enjoy it. But you seemed to! You covered all of the ground that we'd like to although I have the War Cabinet Rooms and the Imperial War Museum (rather than the Tate and the British and the Science) on our list. We'll do fine if the kids' father doesn't insist on staying at any spot too long!

Did you stay at the Marriott at Marble Arch? We're staying at the Renaisscance Chancery Court but Marble Arch is our backup.