We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Hanbury Manor

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Hanbury Manor

I've used my reward points to reserve three nights at the Marriott Hanbury Manor while attending the NFL game in October. I realize it is a distance from London but we are mostly interested in the country sights and wanted to stay at a facility such as this one. We arrive Friday morning at 6:00 a.m. and we are thinking of exploring London before we head to the hotel. Any thoughts on whether we will have wished we stayed in London? We do not intend on renting a car.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Hanbury Manor

This hotel is very difficult to get to without a car - 3 miles from the nearest train station. I think you'll regret staying there period.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,218 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Hanbury Manor

A lovely hotel by all accounts but you are going to be isolated without a car.

Are you arriving at Heathrow? If so I think you should head straight to the hotel. No fun wandering around London with baggage and left luggage facilities are limited in London (there are facilities at Liverpool Street station but they charge £6 per bag).

A car service would probably cost around £100 but would be the quickest. By public transport you could take a Piccadilly Line tube to Holborn and change to The Central Line to Liverpool Street where you would take an overground train to Ware. The journey would take the best part of two hours and then you would need the hotel shuttle for the last couple of miles. And we haven't even considered the hassle and time involved in getting back to Wembley Stadium.

One splendid (from most reviews) option could be The Grove just up the road from Watford. A 50 minute Virgin bus journey to Watford Junction (it goes past the main entrance but won't stop!) and then a taxi back a couple of miles. Getting to the stadium would involve a taxi to Watford tube station (different location to the Junction) and a 35 minute tube ride.

http://www.thegrovehotel.com/index.html

Otherwise The Marriott County Hall is in an unbeatable location and an easy 30 minute tube ride (no changes) on the Jubilee Line to the stadium.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Hanbury Manor

Hanbury Manor is indeed a super hotel with lovely grounds and will be a nice contrast to London. But, as others have said, it is certainly not easy to get to the hotel from London via public transport. You say you are mostly interested in country sights, but I'm wondering how you are going to get around to actually see any of the countryside without a car. Might you re-think about renting one?

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Hanbury Manor

Thank you very much everyone for the input. I definitely have to rethink the situation.

5. Re: Marriott Hanbury Manor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 05:22