We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus with luggage?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
195 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bus with luggage?

We're planning our itinerary for getting from our hotel (Kingsway Hall Hotel at 66 Great Queen Street) to Waterloo to catch the Chunnel. The journey planner on the Tube website suggests taking a bus. Is it difficult to take a bus with luggage? (It will be around 9:30 or so on a Wed morning.) Would it be better to take the Piccadilly line from Holborn to Leicester, then take the Northern Line to Waterloo?

Essex
Level Contributor
26,747 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus with luggage?

at that time of day, the Bus won't be any worse than the tube as far as crowds are concerned. It might be easier, as the Tube will involve stairs or escalators, whereas on the Bus you are at ground level!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus with luggage?

I have taken the bus a number of times with luggage and it has mostly been reasonable. We just parked ourselves in the spot where people put their prams, so we were close to the exit and could shift ourselves around a bit when people got on. It was not great but it was not terrible and definitely better than changing tube lines. I am guessing that you would be taking the #243 bus, which is pretty much a straight shot over to Waterloo--it won't take very long. Plus, you wouldn't have to go north on Kingsway to get to Holborn station as there should be a bus stop at the corner of Great Queen Street and Kingsway.

Texas
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus with luggage?

nulawlady, it used to be relatively easy to take luggage when the old Routemaster buses were around as you just got on the back and plonked your luggage in the space under the stairs, nowadays you get on the bus at the front and pay the driver, generally the luggage area is a raised platform on the right by the door, getting heavy luggage up on that platform and spotting a vacant seat and getting to it safely requires co-ordination, I'd advise a taxi especially at 9.30 am as public transport will still be busy.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus with luggage?

No thats just one of the luggage areas, the other being the clear area in them middle of the bus which is wheelchari accessible. Much easier than getting the tube, you just get on and walk to that but then straight off at the end. The taxi suggestion is a waste of money.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus with luggage?

I rode the tube with my luggage. The ride wasn't bad at all , although I'm sure it my be slightly easier on the bus.

6. Re: Bus with luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 17:20