We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids and Pubs

New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kids and Pubs

We were planning to take advantage of the cheaper pub eats but the guide books say kids under 16 are not permitted. Is this true?

Also, will we look like total American goobers if we wore ponchos in rainy weather. Better with umbrella?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids and Pubs

Umbrellas are superior to ponchos in function and style ;)

As for your original question, I went with my parents when I was 15, and we never encountered any problems eating at pubs. Many have separate dining areas "upstairs", where there are no age restrictions.

Of course, I didn't have any problems getting good and liquored up behind mom and dad's backs, either. =D

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,438 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids and Pubs

Generally, 14 year olds can go in pubs accompanied by adults as long as they are eating. It is up to the individual pub though.

The Wetherspoon/Beefeater type pubs are normally pretty family friendly.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids and Pubs

I don't know how helpful or accurate this list is, but it's a start:

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Children_allowed

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids and Pubs

How far under 16 are we talking about?

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids and Pubs

Definately umbrella!!!! We have 9 and 14 year old and have never had problme finding a "family" pub for food but some do place restictions on how late kids can go in. Excellent chain would be "slug and lettuce" but no kids after 6pm

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids and Pubs

it is entirely up to the proprietor as well as the type of 'license' they hold. The whole licensing issue is pages and pages long and very intricate apparently. If in doubt, ask...or they will certainly tell you when you try to enter and/or it may be posted on the outside of the pub.

(my 20-year old was denied access to a pub during lunchtime, because of their 'licensing' - or at least that the was the story we were given when we sat down for service as a family -even though the 'legal' age of alcohol consumption is 18)

www.pubs.com is a good site that will give you 'child friendly' locations.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids and Pubs

We just returned from our UK trip on July 21st. Travelled w/our 12 & 14 year old daughters. Had no problem finding pubs to eat in. All of them had areas where families had to sit - away from the drinking areas. Some of them seemed to have larger eating areas than those just for drinking. We went once with our friend's 7 year old. We always ate between 4:30 and 7:30, so never had any problem w/being there too late in the evening. There was in fact only one pub we encountered that did not allow children in at any time - so we just moved on to the next one. The ones that don't allow children are usually quite obvious - they make it clear w/signs and such. Many of the pubs that welcome children have signs outside saying families are welcome. We also went to one pub where children under 14 weren't supposed to be (w/our English aunt who didn't seem to care that we had a 12 year old), but our 12 year old was able to pass. Anyways, I don't see you having much trouble getting into most pubs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
547 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids and Pubs

English licensing laws are arcane to say the least - just ask before oyu sit down, nobody will mind.

P.S. umbrellas every time!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,539 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids and Pubs

English licensing laws are arcane to say the least - just ask before oyu sit down, nobody will mind.

they are nothing compared to the Scottish ones.

tripwinner if you are venturing further north they laws concerning children and pubs in Scotland are very different .

New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids and Pubs

Thanks to all for your advice. I'll check out the sites and looks like we'll have no problem with our 10 year old. And umbrellas it is!