We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Britpop Bars, Record Stores

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Britpop Bars, Record Stores

Hello good people.

My wife and I leave for our dream UK vacation tomorrow afternoon.

I was/still am into the British music scene of the 1990's. I'm looking for cool britpop pubs/bars (like the good mixer) to visit while I'm there.

In addition I'm looking for cool record stores, like Rough Trade (which of the two shops is superior) and where can I go for punk rock records?

Thanks in advance!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Britpop Bars, Record Stores

OK, I'll start off as there isn't much time left.

First, if you're landing at Heathrow or Gatwick, then immediately buy Time Out magazine at the airport - there's a voucher in it to buy two tickets for the price of one on the Gatwick or Heathrow Express (on page 29) and you can check out the music section on the way in.

If you're a guitarist, then at some point make a trip to DENMARK ST, which is full of guitar shops, and have a look at the posters for various gigs - it's very near Tottenham Court underground station almost opposite Foyles bookshop:

indielondon.co.uk/shopping/shop_denmark_stre…

There's a bar that fits your requirements in Ladbroke Grove but can't remember where it is - I'll have a think.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Britpop Bars, Record Stores

i hope I don't offend by suggesting the Virgin Megastore on Oxford road near tottenham court road(i think those are the proper street names) I found some really cool vinyl there and the staff were really helpful when looking for stuff.

I don't know how flexible your plans are but you must visit Manchester, It's a few hours north by train, so it's not a day trip but well worth it. Can't remember specific club names but there are a lot. You should check out the Hacienda Exhibit at Urbis (modern urban art Gallery) It chronicles the history of the hacienda nightclub which was partly owned by New order. I really enjoyed it and it's free!!

Hope this helps.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Britpop Bars, Record Stores

I think quite a few of the record shops of Berwick Street have shut down but it should still be worth a visit, its where I used to buy my britpop records (its the cover of definitely maybe). Its just off Oxford Street near the Tottenham Court Road end so its not a huge detour. Camden has quite a few record shops too, record fairs every other Saturday at the Electric Ballroom on the high street too.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Britpop Bars, Record Stores

The bar information I had was out of date, however you should probably buy the "New Musical Express" (just ask for the NME) at WH Smiths or any other place that sells newspapers/magazines, which gives information about rock music throughout Britain. Here's their website but the newspaper is better:

http://www.nme.com/gigs

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Britpop Bars, Record Stores

Have a look at www.timeout.com/london and click clubs then filter by indie, rock, etcetc.

Britpop is obviously not particularly current but you might find a night where they're spinning tunes from that period.

Usually something of that ilk in the Camden area.

The NME recommendation is a good one aswell. They do export a few copies to big cities abroad so an excellent newsagent in your area that imports other papers might have one. Otherwise they're all over once in the UK.

Not bought one for a while but I think they run Thursday to Thursday (stand to be corrected on this) so if you arrive late on a Wednesday wait until thursday morning to pick up a fresh copy with the coming days gig lists.

timeout.com/london/…white_heat.html

This one looks like a possible candidate in Soho. Not to much on the door and some cheaper drink deals.

You might like to look out for gigs at some of the 'smaller' venues. Should hopefully lead to a cheaper door price and a more intimate event. Examples would be London Astoria and London Astoria 2, Kentish Town Forum, Dublin Castle, Brixton Academy, Camden Palace or Underworld (some of these are not small but neither are they stadium size)

London
Level Contributor
874 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Britpop Bars, Record Stores

As previously posted, Berwick street is the best option for independant record stores - Selectadisc and Sister Ray being the two more well known options.

The mainstream stores in Oxford Street do have a pretty good range too, particularly Virgin megastore on the Oxford St/Tottenham Court Road junction. Also the old Tower records (now Virgin) at Piccadilly Circus has a very good range.

Camden or Hoxton areas would be the best bet for bars etc.