We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14yo oyster card & rail costs

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
14yo oyster card & rail costs

Hello,

I'm taking my 14 yo daughter to England in late September. In addition to London we'll be on the trains to Southampton, Malvern, and Birmingham. Can a visitor buy a 14-15yo Oyster pass on the spot? Also are there youth railcards for England over a week timeframe?

Thanks,

nmrunner

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14yo oyster card & rail costs

Unless your daughter looks her age or a bit younger, she may have to travel on adult fares, unless a clerk at a Tube station will issue her a Child ticket with proof of age, say a photocopy of her passport's face page.

Here's how one gets a 14-15 Oyster photocard: Application forms are available from Post Offices in Greater London and areas just beyond the boundary that are served by the Tube and bus network. All applications for 14-15 Oyster photocards must be made at a Post Office branch in Greater London. You will need to take a completed application form, a valid passport, ID card from a European Economic Area or birth certificate, passport sized photograph and £5 payment. The application will take up to two weeks to be processed.

While you wait for your 14-15 Oyster photocard, yo ucan buy Child rate cash single / return tickets for the Tube and DLR, Day and 3 Day Travelcards without a 14-15 year Oyster photocard. 14-15 year olds buying a ticket for bus journeys will need to pay the adult cash fare. The application form receipt can be used to buy up to two Child rate 7 Day Travelcards but does not entitle you to free travel.

If you're staying less than a week, then three day Travelcard(s) may be the best thing to buy for your daughter - cash fares are simply no bargain at all. If part of your stay is at the weekend, then Day Travelcards may be better, as they are available at offpeak fares and will save a bit of money.

Young Persons' Railcards are available to those between the ages of 16 and 25, including visitors to the UK. You may be able to book cheaper fares on line - check out www.nationalrail.co.uk for more info. You will need to book individual tickets for your journeys at each train operating company's webpage, and you will need to register with each. A UK postcode is needed to register - you can use a London or other hotel for the registration info, as you will be given an option to add your credit card's billing address later during the purchase process.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 14yo oyster card & rail costs

Or simpler - buy a child off peak one day travelcard if she is going to be travelling with you all the time. I believe it costs £1 a day

BTW children under 16 can travel free on buses all the time

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 14yo oyster card & rail costs

Re buses - it's under 15 for the free travel

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14yo oyster card & rail costs

Under 16 for the bus - the 14/15 covers them until they are 16 (actually the wording is end of school year in which they become 16. ) The 16-18 card for free bus travel (for those living and continuing in education in London) can be applied for from the 16th birthday (with lots of proof, so not for visitors) I've got two teens and had to apply for a new card (lost) yesterday for the 15 year old - she'll then have to have a new 16+ in a few weeks. About using the receipt to buy child 7 day cards - I thought so as well,k and remember that there was something about it when she first got her card, but we could not find anything about it on this latest form. 1 day bus passes wehn she needs them until the new card arrives.

The Oyster helpline person told me that there is a new 11-15 card comilng from September, which will be appropriate for the 13 year old, who is getting questioned occasionally. Nothing about this that I could see on the tfl website. I asked about the form for this at the post office when I got the repalcement 14-15 card form, but they said they can't issue them until 1st September. Anyone cast any further light on this one?

5. Re: 14yo oyster card & rail costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 03:16