We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
394 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

We're trying to decide whether to take a car or the Heathrow Express from the airport. Husband is concerned about carrying luggage up and down stairs, etc. at the tube stations. Could someone please let me know how involved this might be? We will have two senior citizens (mid-70s) and two children with us and need to keep that in mind.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
934 Reviews
London, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,362 Reviews
from US$130.70*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,130 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$117.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$348.00*
London
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

where do you need to get to from Heathrow ?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
394 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

South Kensington - Old Brompton Road. Nearest tube is Gloucester Road.

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

OK that's West London on the main route in from Heathrow, with that many of you I really would suggest at least getting a quote for a 6(?) seater taxi..... by the time you pay for 6 tickets on the express the price difference could be neglible and then frankly who needs the aggravation of the tube with luggage. I've never caught a taxi in from Heathrow personally but could possibly track down a few web sites for you if you'd like.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
342 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

You should do all right on the Heathrow Express. It's accessible, but a very long walk from baggage claim to the platform. You would need to have a rolling cart if you have lots of baggage. Cost is 13GBP per person, I think. Then you could take a taxi from Paddington to your hotel. Don't even think of going on the tube with lots of luggage!

If you decide to go with a taxi all the way, we paid 40 GPB when we did that from Central London to Heathrow in January.

I'm not sure if the standard taxis will hold 6 people, though. You may need to get a quote from a 6-seater.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
934 Reviews
London, UK
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
394 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

I acutally have gotten a quote for a car from a company called MetroCarriages (www.metrocarriages.com) that will take all 7 of us plus luggage from Heathrow to our hotel for 70GBP. Does this sound like a good deal? I know it's probably less hassle but just curious about the cost.

Any other suggestions re car companies or transfers is appreciated.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
342 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

Since it would cost 90GBP for all 7 of you on the Heathrow Express, plus taxi from Paddington, that car quote actually sounds pretty good. I've seen lots of other posts about recommended car services from Heathrow. You might do a search on this site for "car service from Heathrow" or "car transfer from Heathrow."

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
934 Reviews
London, UK
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

take the car if you can.the cost will be comparable the HEX plus cabs from paddington and may be cheaper.

gloucester rd has around ten steps form where the picadilly lift is to street level it can be quite busy around there so trying to make sure you get your bearings and and dont wander in front of traffic could be difficult. if you want to do it on the way back you could walk to Gloucester rd and then take the picadilly line out to heathrow.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

I'd say get the car. You can always do the tube from Gloucester Rd on the way home when you'll be more accustomed to travelling in London and, no doubt, less tired.

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Accessibility at Heathrow Express and Paddington Tube...

If you have a quote for all 7 of you from airport to hotel, that's much better than going by train.