We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

Living in southern california skews your weather perspective, i've learned.

So - what's the weather like right now in London for the next two weeks? i've checked the BBC and i see 70s/60s, but is that breezy and cool or dry warm? Jacket over short sleeves or long sleeves? jeans comfortable or too hot? Does it cool down substantially in the evening?

thanks, i really am trying to pack LESS this trip!

vast

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

Right now, its like Autumn - breezy, wet, overcast, cool. Next 2 weeks - who knows? It is unlikely to be dry and warm, but if it is, just leave a layer or two in your room.

UK
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

My husband has just spoken to a friend in Ireland and during the conversation asked him what his weather was like at the moment. He replied (broad Irish accent) "same as you, but worse"!

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

Ancient Scottish saying (applies to most of England and to US towns like San Francisco CA and Boston);

If you can't see the mountains, it's raining. If you can see them, it's going to rain in five minutes.

We've given up on weather prediction; we were in drought ridden Texas in May to encounter tornados, rain, severe thunderstorms. That should have been followed by very hot and dry weather. As you know Texas and the mid-west have suffered dreadful flooding on and off ever since.

We hit heat waves in SF and in Boston in November; June rain storms in Naples FL; El Nino in Orlando; etc. etc. AND a fantastic heat wave in Scotland one June a few years back.

Bring layers; you can take it off if you have it with you; you can't if you haven't. Anyway the sales will be on so bikinis, etc will be giveaway.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

hi vast: You're leaving for london any day now, right? Travelling solo, i think you said....Have a wonderful trip, take lots of pics, eat, drink and be careful...Bon Voyage or Happy Trails or whatever is said!

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

The normal answer is to say layers, the answer at the moment would be winter fleece! The weather this year in the uk has not been summery, I'm sat here wondering whether to put the heating on and its still August! Hopefully you could be lucky late August/ early September can be warm (although definitely chilly at night). It usually gets warm just as the kids (and me!) go back to school!

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

Thanks everyone and yes, fussyguest, i am leaving Sunday and doing the pre-packing 'what can i eliminate?' Now i know to bring more long sleeves than short, and maybe leave the shorts at home.

vast

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

you know the brits hate it when we wear shorts....they've posted they especially dislike a fanny pack and baseball cap worn with them... : ) Seriously: I would think long sleeves, long trousers rather than summery clothes. It's autumnal in the Northeast of U.S. ....friends in Islington from the states report similar london weather.

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

i know never to wear the cap (except when i run or sleep on the plane) and i dont even own a fanny pack. I could spot the US tourists in Paris last year from the combination fanny/hat/sneakers.

thanks for the confirmation of cooler weather!

vast

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

Could change but then you could peel off layers rather than freezing. It's going to be a great trip....wish I were going now instead of having to wait for February!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current weather - i'm trying to pack smart!

"Thanks everyone and yes, fussyguest, i am leaving Sunday and doing the pre-packing 'what can i eliminate?' Now i know to bring more long sleeves than short, and maybe leave the shorts at home."

Not so fast! Current weather forecast for this weekend is hot & sunny ...following week, no one knows yet, we might have a clue by Saturday.