We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rugby in London

Boston...
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rugby in London

I am a former rugger and (seriously) one of my life's goals is to see a professional match in a country where the sport is appreciated.

Can anybody point me in the right direction in seeing a match.

We will be in London the 2nd week of January. I am not sure if this is the offical season or if the stadium is even near London.

Thanks!!!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rugby in London

Don't know about any smaller tournaments which might be happening but the annual 6 Nations championships involving Scotland,France,Wales, Italy,Ireland, Italy and er em oh yes England doesn't start until the beginning of February.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rugby in London

Italy only have 1 team and not 2 as you might think from what I typed in my previous post!:-)

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rugby in London

Do you mean Twickenham rugby ground, which is the home of the England national team? It's about a 40 minute rail journey from London Waterloo, or you go on the Piccadilly underground line to Hounslow East station and catch the 281 bus (bus journey is about 15 minutes). You'll know the ground when you see it and their shop and museum are good for souvenirs.

Directly opposite is the ground of the Harlequins club: http://www.quins.co.uk/default.ink

but the only game that the Quins are playing in your timeframe are against a French side on the 19th, but if that isn't feasible there are other top rugby sides playing in London over that period of which the strongest are London Irish, London Wasps and Saracens. If you google on their names you should find the information.

Or take the underground to Richmond and instead of going to Kew Gardens go immediately next door and have a drink in the clubhouse at London Welsh - they're a friendly bunch.

http://www.london-welsh.co.uk/Default.aspx

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rugby in London

Gladly :) You won't be able to see an international match but professional club rugby will be in full swing and as there are no international matches at that time the clubs should have all their big guns playing for them. When exactly will you be here? There are European cup (Heineken Cup = top tier of European club competition; European Challenge Cup = second tier of European club competition) matches in the middle of January, and some of them would be well worth seeing!

London Wasps play Munster in the Heineken Cup on January 10th - despite the name, Wasps actually now play in High Wycombe, but it's only about half an hour on the train out of London, not difficult at all. They're one of the top clubs in the English Premiership, and Munster are a big Irish team with a lot of very vocal and entertaining support. It won't be the easiest match to get tickets for, possibly, and I'm not sure when they go on sale - check the London Wasps website (www.wasps.co.uk).

If you can't get tickets for that, there are other Heineken Cup matches around London on that weekend: London Irish v Benetton Treviso (London Irish play in Reading, again about half an hour out of London) and Saracens v Glasgow Warriors (Saracens play in Watford). Check www.ercrugby.com for more details on those - and while you're there you can check the European Challenge Cup fixtures too, I don't know if they're out yet!

If you'll be in London the weekend after that, you might be out of luck on the Premiership rugby front as I think that's their week off...!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rugby in London

And as you're from Richmond, Virginia you may know that Richmond, Surrey is twinned with your city, and they have a noted rugby club. They're not in the top division at the moment but they still play a high standard of rugby: http://www.richmondfc.co.uk/

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rugby in London

You may also be interested in the official Rugby Union Twickenham website.

rfu.com/index.cfm/…RFUHome.Twickenham

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rugby in London

I agree with Glyn1. Richmond is the heartland of London rugby, with several teams and many Rugby pubs and the national stdium, in the borough.

Richmond team are not at the highest level because of some politicking, so they restarted at the lowest level and are shooting up in the leagues.

Then there is Harelquins, with an excellent ground opposite Twickenham stadium (Museum of rugby etc).

Include a visit to the Orange Tree or the Sun or the Cabbage Patch etc, for some liquid Rugby memories..

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rugby in London

Richmond unfortunately don't have a home game in the middle of January according to their fixture list... :(

As far as Harlequins fixtures are concerned, their website and the ERC website say different things, so who knows?!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rugby in London

The fixtures may not be finalised, as some cups are knock-out, so they may not be in a cup come January.

However, there will almost certainly be rugby in Richmond in January... London Welsh play there, as do Rosslyn Park, not forgetting London Scottish. (London Irish used to play nearby, but have moved to Reading!)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rugby in London

Peter, nope, not in this case - it's the Heineken Cup, which is only at the group stages by then. I would guess it's actually more likely to do with TV rights to be honest... or else one site or the other has just made a mistake.

London Welsh are at home to Pertemps Bees on Jan 19th, that's their only home game in Jan - should be worth watching though, the Pertemps Bees (formerly Birmingham Solihull, I think?) aren't half bad... at least they weren't a couple of seasons ago. That's only one league below the top flight, too. London Scottish are lower down than that, but they too have a home game on the 19th against Clifton. Can't make the fixture list on Rosslyn Park's website come up, so don't know what they're up to!