We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Question

Ascot Vale...
Level Contributor
137 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Question

Hi fellow TAs

I am spending October in the Uk doing some work and taking every opportunity to head to places in Europe for short holidays when I don't have work commitments.

I need some local knowledge on Heathrow.

I am flying on the 22 October with Aer Lingus from Dublin to London at 6.40am arriving Heathrow Terminal 1 at 8.05am and then flying BA at 9.25am to Barcelona from the same Terminal.

My questions are:

(a) Will my luggage be checked through from Dublin to Barcelona?

(b) Should I let my luggage be checked through from Dublin to Barcelona?

(c) If it is not checked through will I have sufficient time to collect it and recheck in?

The flight from Dublin is economy and the flight to Barcelona is business.

Thanks in anticipation.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Question

(a) if you use the same airline or its partners on both legs, then, yes, it can be checked through.

b) Its up to you. If it were me, I wouldn't take checked luggage for a short break. If the bag goes missing (and we are talking Heathrow here!), then the short break is ruined. You can easily get a weeks worth of gear in a carry-on bag. Or, upgrade the dublin flight to business and take a bigger carryon bag.

c) Possibly

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Question

a. you are not travelling on the same carrier, so probably probably not in time.

b. i don' think you will have the choice

c. you are not on the same carrier it is unlikely that you will be ticketed through to barcelona so you will have to claim your baggage and recheck it and go through security.

find out if ba and aer lingus have some kind of arrangement if not it might be a rush if the inbound flight is signficantly late

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Question

Sorry, missed the part about BA flight.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Question

EI is no longer a partner in oneWorld with BA, so they may not / probably will not interline your bags to a BA flight.

BA suggest a minimum connection time of 60 minutes for T1 - T1 connections, so you are within that time frame, but you'll be going through the place at the same time as a fairly large number of commuters. If you need to collect your bags and go through check in (you should OLCI in any event, esp if flying CE) and Security, your time is going to be tight.

Having said that, you'll be able to go through Zone R at T1 for check in, and it does have its own Security point, a built-in Fast Track if you will. If you do have to check in for LHR-BCN head there rather than the regular check in desks.

Have a swell time in BCN, it's a fabbo city.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Question

I think you need to check with Aer Lingus about the baggage check through.

All Aer Lingus flights between Dublin and Heathrow are codeshares so your Aer Lingis Flight will also have a BA flight number. One assumes BA passengers use the same checkin desk at Dublin on your flight. Seems just bureaucracy is the only reason that will stop them booking luggage through onto another BA flight.

Ascot Vale...
Level Contributor
137 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Question

Thanks everyone for your advice.

7. Re: Heathrow Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 15:17