We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deepest Tube Line

Earth
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Topic
Deepest Tube Line

Which of the London Underground lines is the deepest?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Deepest Tube Line

I don't know if you are asking the deepest average depth of the total line (which I don't know), but the deepest point is supposed to be on the Northern Line just north of the Hampstead station at 222 feet.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,386 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Deepest Tube Line

A lot depends on what you mean by deepest - for example the lowest point on the system is at Waterloo but the deepest below the local ground level is at Hampstead

www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Statistics.htm

http://www.londonrailways.net/facts.htm

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,431 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deepest Tube Line

Can I be rude and ask why you need to know this?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deepest Tube Line

The Northern line may get it on stations alone, although Chalk Farm does have that shallow lift. Wapping is a deep station, with the dark brick of the walls providing an appropriate eerie atmos to a wait on the narrow platforms there.

www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Statistics.htm

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,575 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deepest Tube Line

Hampstead is the deepest station under the surface at 58.5 metres (64.0 yards). However, it is not the deepest below sea level as the station's surface building is near the top of a hill.

The deepest platforms below sea level are the Jubilee Line platforms at Westminster which are -32 metres (-35 yards).

…wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_trivia

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deepest Tube Line

"Wapping is a deep station"

Wapping isn't on a tube line, but as I recall does have the distinction of being the deepest sub-surface station on the network.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deepest Tube Line

To the vast majority of those who use TfL's Underground system, the differences between 'tube' and 'sub-surface' (cut and cover) tunnels, along with the different rolling stock, matter v little. Engineers and anoraks may take a different view.

Agent007 did pose the question about the London Underground, which to me includes both types of tunnels.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deepest Tube Line

Agent007's post was titled 'Deepest Tube Line'.

The the two main types of railway on the London Underground system have historical and engineering significance which our more cerebral visitors may care to know about. The distinction also has practical implications for travellers.

The fact that many neither know of nor care about the difference is no reason for inaccuracy by those of us who do know about it.

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deepest Tube Line

Hi...bit anoraky but I think Angel station has the longest escalator

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Deepest Tube Line

"Wapping isn't on a tube line" - I beg to differ. Notwithstanding the engineering subtleties, Transport for London produce a very clear colorful map and in big bold letters give it the title "Tube Map". It includes the East London line and Wapping station.

Since TfL call it a Tube then it is a Tube.

www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/colourmap.pdf