We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for tea

New York
9 posts
Save Topic
Best place for tea

I am staying at the Hotel Russell in Russell Square. What is the best place for tea that won't break the bank?

By the way. What is clotted cream? Sounds yummy!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for tea

The Orangery at Kensington Palace is very nice and not expensive. Many of the hotels offer a tea too that won't break the bank, besides the high end hotels like the Ritz, Claridges, Brown's - etc... that are very expensive.

I had tea at Harrods for around 12 pounds per person and it was very nice - clotted cream is just great - and probably does clot your arteries. It is a rich type of butter looking cream that you spread on your scones with jam....

do a search in this forum for afternoon tea and there should be quite a few threads to research

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for tea

Here's a photo of clotted cream. It's really sinful - a really thick cream that you spread on your scones. It's not sweet like whipped cream - just a really thick cream.

www.johnsofinstow.co.uk/images/cream2.jpg

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for tea

I just wish Tea wasn't limited to Tea Time...what if I want a scone with clotted cream and tea for lunch, seems that even a place like the Wolseley (with their "all day" menu) limits it to the after 3pm time slot.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for tea

As you are so close to the Waitrose at the Brunswick centre, you may find it worth your while to pop in & pick up a jar of good strawberry or raspberyy jam, a packet of fresh scones from the bakery section AND a tib of clotted creamm (prolly Rhodda's) from the chilled dairy section.

This collation will cost you close to a fiver & may even last you a whole day ;-).

I'm racking my brain for Bloomsbury pitstop that will fulfil your requirement for a nearby place that won't break the bank.......

New York
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for tea

Thank you so much. I am going to be in London from Sept 3-13 and only have $1800 so I really have to save....

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for tea

Anything in Waitrose with their own brand on it will be of excellent quality & so the jam will be good....

7. Re: Best place for tea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 14:18