We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Still deciding what to do re car hire - we are staying at Luna & Simone on Belgrave Road - is anyone aware of an Avis depot near by? Like the thought of collecting the car and heading on our way rather than going back to Heathrow but not sure if it is manageable? Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice and tips.

Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

Hi jaz09

I personally wouldn't drive in London ever ( my husband has done this in the past and has always regretted it). We generally rent our cars from a local agency in Guildford, ( web address peter-waugh.co.uk). Our rental experiences have been very good, simply make your rental agreement with him and when you are ready to pick up your vehicle contact him for time to meet in Guildford and then go to Waterloo station board a train bound for Guildford and Peter will meet you at the train station with your vehicle (after some simple paper work) your on your way. Drop off is equally simple , arrang a time and he will meet you at the departure terminal and pick the car up right there not at a remote site where you need to transfer luggage to a bus and then go to the terminal. This agency isn't large nor do they rent new vehicles but they all come with an AA membership we've been very satisfied.

Just an aside we too will be staying at the Luna and Simone at the end of September and are also renting avehicle from Peter for the balance of our 2weeks in England.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

If you are wanting to continue westward after you pickup your rented car, Staines has an Avis rental office and Sunbury has a Hertz rental office. I believe Slough has various rental offices as well. All seem to have easy access via train. When we leave London for our roadtrip around the midlands in September, we will be picking our car up at the Hertz in Sunbury..... and if you are doing a one way rental, FYI.... Hertz does not have a drop off charge at alot of it's locations.

London
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

Listen to the advice of the other posters - DO not hire a car from Central London - you will have to pay 8.00GBP a day congestion charge plus very high car parking fees, plus driving in London is a nightmare unless you know your way.

If you tell us which direction you intend to head after leaving Victoria area someone will tell you which area to rent from.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

Thanks so much for all the advice.

It is proving to be a very costly exercise as we want to pick up in London on the 13 Sept drive to Stratford stay overnight then on to Cardiff we are then spending two weeks driving around Wales and Ireland, leaving the car at the Dublin airport and so we are being hit with a huge one way fee but I have looked at other options and I don't think I can avoid it.

I have looked at catching the train to Stratford but Avis don't have a depot there but they do in Oxford maybe that would be feasible?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

You maybe able to cut down on the drop off fee by leaving the car on the mainland in Wales and picking up another car in Ireland.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

How many in your party? Once you add in train fares between points that might mitigate some of the rental cost.

As mentioned don't take the car over a border (wales/ireland) as that will pump the cost up.

Check rental companies for delivery service to your hotel. Enterprise do this easily. Not sure about others.

Go for it. You will be fine in London so long as you relax into the journey and accept it will be busy for the first leg at least.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,038 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

I would never hire a car in the UK and take it to Ireland which will incur a large drop off fee and means you will have to make the crossing by ferry. If you are going to Wales then I assume that you will be getting the ferry from Anglesy acroos to Dublin. Why not drop off the car in either liverpool and fly with Ryanair or in Manchester and fly Aer Lingus. Or http://www.aerarann.ie/ from Cardiff.

Then pick up another car in Dublin

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

do you absolutely need to book with Avis? There are so many other options for rentals out there that you really don't need to stick with them.. like I said before, if you want to try to avoid the drop off fee, try Hertz. Especially if you change your drop off to Liverpool, or a larger urban area, there will most likely not be a drop fee. We are picking up in Sunbury and dropping at Liverpool City Centre, and we were delighted to not see the drop fee included in the price...

Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire

Thanks for the advice - will look into using other companies another problem we are facing is there are 5 in our party all with luggage for 7 weeks away from home so we need a large car - some depots don't have the bigger cars so we are restricted by that as well.

Anyway will keep researching and hopefully work it our soon as our departure date is rapidly approaching!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
893 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire

jaz09, We rented a car in London 2 years ago, from 1car1 and it was far cheaper than any other firm. We picked it up outside the congestion area and dropped it back to Heathrow, at no extra charge. We had excellent service and a great car - the only thing missing was a road map. Our travel agent booked it for us.