We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

It has been suggested to me and forgive me if I sound stupid but is it Beefeaters Gin? Or is it about soldiers? I really know nothing about this.

Thanks!

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

The Beefeaters are the Yeoman Warders. They're the guardians of the Tower. The gin was named after them.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

The Beefeaters are the Yeoman Guard who look after the Tower of London. They are also charged with the responsibility of guiding tourists around the Tower complex. Their tours are included in the price of entry to the Tower and well worth it for their knowledge and stories. Besides, they're a bunch of characters and make the info fun! I think the tours are every half hour... something like that.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

Hi Gina

Since I told you to take their tour I will gladly explain. Members of the Yeoman Guard (Beefeaters) are retired British military officers who actually live at the Tower. They give free tours of the Tower giving you some history along with some funny one-liners. You can't miss them in their very colorful uniforms. Again, I would get to the Tower when it opens and head straight for the Crown Jewels. After that, find a tour (they start near the entrance). Well worth it. Enjoy the Tower!

Berrigan Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

The Beefeaters are the Yeoman Warders of the Tower of London. You can join a tour and they will guide you around the Tower and will stop and tell you about the history of the Tower and its grounds. You also get to go into the St Peter Ad Vinicula(excuse spelling) Church which you cannot go into otherwise, and you get to sit in there and hear about it and its occupants - those who died at the Tower.

It is very interesting and afterwards you can go back and have a good look at the Tower yourself. Also very entertaining and free.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

Thanks bob007! I was going to page you for info!

Thanks everyone else too. The guided tour sounds great.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

You're welcome Gina! Have fun!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

Gina,

I should also mention that the Yeoman Guard have been at the Tower since the 14th Century! Just love London history!

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

not officers, NCOs, they like to work for a living.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't remember if it was NCO's or not.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What exactly is the Beefeaters tour?

Basically, they take you on a tour of a slaughter house and let you try the beef, the Aberdeen Angus and Alberta beef is really good and the Texas beef is quite nice, you even get to taste the beef jerky if you can get your teeth through it. I have never been but this is what my friend told me.