We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring with food in Heathrow

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transferring with food in Heathrow

I will be transferring through Heathrow on my back to the US from Athens. I was hoping to bring some Greek foods and olive oil back to the US, but the regulations are killing me (well, saving my life, but killing my planning). I realize that I'll have to pack oils (and honey?) in my checked bag, but what about cheese? Does anyone know if the dairy restrictions include dairy products from outside the UK?

And if I do need to put the cheese in my checked bag, won't it go bad over the nearly 20 hours I'll be traveling?

(This is my first international trip, so I'm trying to figure things out)

Oh, and also, does the one bag rule in Heathrow include duty free shopping? If so, that's crazy, because who would have any room in an already small bag to shop???

Thanks for any info! :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transferring with food in Heathrow

lissylynn: The one-bag rule applies as you go through security. You can take your purse/shoulder bag out of your carry-on after security. And you can shop in the terminal and take those items on board the plane without having to cram them in your carry-on.

Found this on the US customs website:

"You may bring bakery items and certain cheeses into the United States. The APHIS web site features a Travelers Tips section and Game and Hunting Trophies section that offers extensive information about bringing food and other products into the country. Many prepared foods are admissible. However, almost anything containing meat products, such as bouillon, soup mixes, etc., is not admissible. As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee and tea are admissible. Because rice can often harbor insects, it is best to avoid bringing it into the United States." And here's the APHIS website: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transferring with food in Heathrow

I'd be more worried about the bottle breaking and ruining a suitcase and its contents. Baggage handlers have been known to drop bags onto the apron from planes!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,359 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transferring with food in Heathrow

Just pack it well. Olive oil would make a huge mess of your clothes if the bottle broke. As for it going bad, the baggage hold of an aircraft is generally not heated so the cheese should be kept chilled whilst in there and if you are transferring checked baggage through Heathrow at this time of the year then the outside temperature should also be cool so I think it should be ok espcially if if the cheese is hard rather than soft (the softer the cheese the quicker it will spoil due to the higher moisture content)

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transferring with food in Heathrow

Thank for the help :)

What about the foot and mouth disease issue in the UK? Will that effect exporting? I've tried and tried to figure out if some Greek cheese will be a problem, but can't be sure. Maybe I'll just pack it to be safe!

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transferring with food in Heathrow

the problem will not be the transit in the uk but import of those goods in the us

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transferring with food in Heathrow

My friend from NYC always takes cheese back from France to the US. She has never had any problems at all, packs it in her checked luggage. She also takes things like jam and marmalade.

We often bring back bottles of wine and jars of honey to the UK from abroad wrapped in beach towels or whatever. Never had a breakage yet, but we realise it could happen.

As between EU member states, you are allowed this sort of thing for personal consumption.

So I would say wrap it well and enjoy.

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transferring with food in Heathrow

Greetings

You can bring hard cheese back to the US (i.e. cheddar or other cheeses that are made in wheels ), but soft cheeses are generally not permitted. Non-pasteurised soft cheese would definitely not be permitted since it could be harboring nasty bacteria. If the cheese needs to be refrigerated during your trip, it's probably not going to be allowed into the US.

Foot & Mouth should not affect you, but be sure to declare ALL food items if you are asked in case there are restricting items for that or other reasons.

FYI, I know that you are definitely not permitted to bring honey into the UK. Shouldn't be a problem as you wouldn't be clearing customs in Heathrow, but I'd put it in your checked luggage just to be sure (I wrap glass jars in bubble wrap and put them in one or two layers of plastic baggies).

Kate

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transferring with food in Heathrow

<<< Oh, and also, does the one bag rule in Heathrow include duty free shopping? If so, that's crazy, because who would have any room in an already small bag to shop??? >>>

If you buy goods past security in any EU airport then you can take it through AIRSIDE security at any other EU airport as long as it remains sealed in the bag it came in. NOTE this is the EU liquids & not UK one bag rule that is applying.

The UK one bag (plus liquids) rule only applies when you pass through UK security so once past security you can have as many bags as you like - as long as the airline allows it.

I've read elsewhere that all your good DON'T have to fit in the one bag if they are liquids or large electrical items as they are scanned separately

9. Re: Transferring with food in Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 13:19