We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenwich or Hampstead?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Greenwich or Hampstead?

My husband and I will be in London for a week in October. I want to go to Greenwich AND Hampstead, but don't have enough time! Anyone out there strongly prefer one over the other? I love the idea of taking a boat down the Thames to Greenwich, but the view from Hampstead Heath and "The Flask" sound great, too! Arrgghh. If you had to pick one, which would it be? If you love Greenwich, any great pubs there?

Thank you!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

Why can't you see both?

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

I agree - you are there for a week and its easy to see both.

London
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

If your schedule is so full that you really don't have time to do both, then I would choose Greenwich. There is so much to see and do there in one day; take a boat trip to Greenwich Pier and just wander. If you are there at the weekend, there is a terrific craft market in the centre; you also have the antiques market nearby. Visit the Royal Naval College and the Fan Museum; stroll into and around the park, where you will get one of the best views of London from the top of the hill outside the Greenwich Observatory. There are so many places where you can eat/drink and soak up the atmosphere. Finally, take a riverside walk before taking the boat back again! Have a great trip!

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

I would choose Greenwich, too. The nighttime view from Hampstead is great, if that helps you make it to both.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,228 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

If it really has to be one - Greenwich. More of interest historically and architecturally. Save Hampstead for the 'next' trip!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

Greenwich - The observatory. Greenwich mean time. You can't miss it.

london
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

I don't know where you will be staying in London, but if you are staying in central London you will be able to get to both locations very easily by public transport in little time.

However if I had to choose, I would go to Greenwich, and I would take the boat from Westminster, it is not cheap but it is really nice, and once you are in Greenwich there are lots of things to do, as others have already told you.

Hampstead Heath is ok, it is a nice enough park, but nothing to write home about. Hampstead is a very nice part of London, with a nice High Street (good shopping if you are interested, with a nice selection of independent shops as well as the high street chains), good restaurants, pubs and bars, and a good place to spend a few hours just walking about, and it will give you a good idea of what is like to live in central London.

Whatever you choose, have great fun!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

I agree that Greenwich should be your first choice. If you have time to squeeze in a Saturday evening pub walk through London Walks, try to take the Hampstead Pub Walk. It's a really nice walk through Hampstead.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

As everyone else says: Greenwich. It's a World Heritage Site, and the tourist office in the museum will give you all the up-to-date information.

Happstead is also enchanting but less to do there - I do like the gied walk led by that actor - I forget his name, he used to be Lord Peter Wimsey? Very entertaining,

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greenwich or Hampstead?

If you decide on Greenwich, which seems to be the board's concensus, you could have a pint at the Trafalgar Tavern. They also have sandwiches or appetizers if you need nourishment other than drink.