We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

I'll be in London from October 6th -8th for Arsenal v. Sunderland match but don't have any idea what hotel or what area to stay! Can anyone suggest a good area or hotel that would place me in a nice area but still allow me to get to Emirates Stadium easily? I'm flying into Heathrow and won't have much baggage (just a backpack) so hopefully I should be able to get around easy.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

Any of the recommendations for hotels in Central London will do. At worst it means you have to change Tube train somewhere rather than being able go direct

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

The Kings Cross area has many good hotels, and its on the Piccadilly Tube Line, which would get you to Arsenal in around ten minutes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

You haven't mentioned a budget, so the following suggestions are for modest hotels that offer bed and breakfast accommodation; most will offer both basic and ensuite rooms.

Very near King's Cross are the Alhambra, Montana Excel, Jesmond Dene, Meridiana, California, and Crestfield hotels. A bit further along is the Euro Hotel, on Cartwright Gardens. These are within a five minute walk of King's Cross station.

A bit further from King's Cross, about a ten minute walk from Russell Square station (which is on the Piccadilly line from LHR) are the hotels on Gower Street: the Arosfa, Cavendish, Ridgemount, Arran House and Jesmond. Gower Street has a number of buses travelling along that serve central London, buses in the oppo direction (including to King's Cross) head north on Tottenham Court Road, a two minute stroll from Gower Street.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

Jurys Inn, Islington (Pentonville Rd).

…jurysinns.com/jurysinn_islington

Nearest Tube Angel, change at KX (next stop) for the Piccadilly Line, get off at Holloway Rd & 2min walk from there.

Tho you could actually walk it to the ground from there (I've done it!) cos we couldnt get anywhere near the tube after the match - bout 20-30mins walk. The big drawback with the Emirates, too many people not enough capacity on the tubes/stations!.

England
Level Contributor
82 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

If you are taking a car with you I would recommend the Days Inn Hotel in South Ruislip - it has free parking & tube station is next door, it's a fair way on the tube but you only need to change tube once to get to Arsenal station.

England
Level Contributor
82 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

PS - would also agree with advice from Bojangles - it is a huge chore trying to get anywhere after the game unless you're prepared to wait in a nearby pub for a few hours! ;O)

West Lawn...
Level Contributor
160 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

Like others have said, its best to choose a central hotel that has easy Tube access. We went to two games at Emirates and did the stadium tour last winter and stayed at the Luna and Simone near Victoria Station. Its been a while but I believe you have to make one change on the tube to get to the Arsenal stop. However you can get to Finsbury Park without having to make any changes, ( I think). I can't recall finding any suitable lodging close to Emirates.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

Car to Arsenal on match day ?

Make sure you bring extra funds to recover it from the tow away pound. Allow £250.

Locals struggle to keep their own parking spaces & pay for fiercely monitored resident permits. Need I say more.

Yes, tube stations very crowded after the match. But you could always go for a few pints until the crowds subside. Why not get off the beaten track by wandering down to the Highbury roundabout, crossing over into Canonbury Road AND then walk into Compton Avenue to partake some libation at the Compton Arms.

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Islington

Hotels: Jurys Inm on Pentonville Rd & Hilton Islington on Islington Green are within a 20 minute walk or 8-ish minute bus ride back(routes 4 & 43 - Holloway Rd round Highbury roundabout into Upper Street to Angel & vice versa) from Emirates. You have the advantage of a decent night out in bars & restaurants the night before. From LHR, take Piccadilly tibe line to Kings Cross & change onto Northern line to go one stop to Angel. Both hotels within 5 mi nute stroll.

At Kings Cross, smaller establishments as previous responders have suggested & the Premier Travel Inn & the KX Travelodge. All within a quick stroll to the tube to go a sto or so up either to Holloway Rd (Piccadilly line) or Highbury (Victoria line).

England
Level Contributor
82 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

Apologies I obviously didn't make myself clear when I mentioned the car - I note that you're flying into Heathrow so my suggestion for South Ruislip would be if you are travelling by car when you get there - it would mean that you wouldn't have to drive through central London and/or think about parking/congestion charging. I wouldn't for one moment suggest trying to drive or park anywhere near Emirates on matchday! If you're relying on public transport the Bojangles has the right idea. Enjoy the game! :O)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,218 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In London for Arsenal Game; don't know where to stay!

I think Gooner Girl is somehow assuming that the OP will be renting a car. I would he or she will want stay centrally to enjoy the rest of the delights of London! They would be very isolated out in South Ruslip as nice as the area is and as pleasant as I am sure the Days Inn is.

There will be no Circle Line service that weekend so I would second the suggestions of the hotels around Kings Cross and Jury's Islington and would add the Hilton Islington to the list if they have some good weekend rates.