We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London in Jan 2024

London in Jan 2024

My daughter, mom, and I arrive late on Jan 5 and leave midday on the 8th.

On Sat, Jan 6, we have afternoon tea reservations at the Langham, followed by The Lion King at Lyceum. We plan to visit Borough Market in the AM. Would the Tower of London/Crown Jewels be a good fit in between the market and tea? Tea is at 2:45.

On Sun, Jan 7, we would like to see the changing of the guards ceremony, but no other firm plans. We would like to see Buckingham, the London Eye, Big Ben, take a river cruise (if weather permits), and Westminster. What would be the best way to tackle our Sunday plans? And what is good for night sightseeing/shopping on a January Sunday? TIA!

18 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
244 posts
1. Re: London in Jan 2024

The Tower of London is maybe about 3 hours so if you’re seeing Borough Market first thing, that could work.

It’s helpful to use full names for places - we can all guess that you mean Buckingham Palace rather than the town of Buckingham, but Westminster can refer to a large district of London (technically a whole city), the Palace of Westminster (ie the parliament building), Westminster Abbey (the big old church where the coronation happens) or Westminster Cathedral (the RC cathedral.)

Edited: 13 December 2023, 20:57
Level Contributor
244 posts
2. Re: London in Jan 2024

If you mean Westminster Abbey, btw, I don’t think it’s usually open to tourists on a Sunday as it’s a working church. But perhaps you can clarify because you might mean that you’re planning to visit the Westminster area more generally.

Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
14,935 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: London in Jan 2024

Big Ben is already sold out for Jan/Feb, The next release of tickets (tomorrow IIRC?) will be for March.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
12,550 posts
89 reviews
145 helpful votes
4. Re: London in Jan 2024

If you want to visit Buckingham Palace tickets are only available on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday and then only in the late afternoon/early evening but double check that. Being a small group tour led by a guide entry is expensive - £95 pp.

Don’t prevaricate; tickets sell quite quickly.

Edited: 13 December 2023, 22:14
Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
12,550 posts
89 reviews
145 helpful votes
5. Re: London in Jan 2024

Are you aware of the Sunday evening Twilight Tour of the Tower of London? If you’re a photographer you’ll love the wonderfully atmospheric photo opportunities.

https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/whats-on/tower-twilight-tours/#gs.24552g

You might combine it with the Ceremony of the Keys later the same evening. Maybe. Check the timings but I think I have done both on the same night.

Edited: 13 December 2023, 22:19
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
8,193 posts
69 reviews
31 helpful votes
6. Re: London in Jan 2024

NB it’s Changing the Guard no “s” because the Guard is a group of guards not individuals.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
12,550 posts
89 reviews
145 helpful votes
7. Re: London in Jan 2024

Ignore my comment in post 4 about the time of visits to the Palace. It’s actually mid morning to late afternoon.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: London in Jan 2024

#3 I’m fairly sure the OP meant the Queen Elizabeth Tower, not Big Ben.

Plum Trav, Big Ben is technically the name of the largest of the bells in side the structure often called wrongly Big Ben. It was just known as the Clocktower. But the clocktower was renamed The Elizabeth Tower, in honour of the late Queen.

So from the outside you’ll see that not Big Ben, The difference between the clocktower and Big Ben never really mattered, but some people feel a bit more strongly about the difference since Queen Elizabeth the 2nd passing,

Edited: 14 December 2023, 00:51
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: London in Jan 2024

Sorry meant to address the OP not Plym Trav.

Level Contributor
244 posts
10. Re: London in Jan 2024

{Plum Trav, Big Ben is technically the name of the largest of the bells in side the structure often called wrongly Big Ben. It was just known as the Clocktower. But the clocktower was renamed The Elizabeth Tower, in honour of the late Queen}

It wasn’t me who said that Big Ben was sold out - I assumed the poster meant the tower not the bell.

I was querying what was meant by Westminster - and pointing out that if it’s the Abbey, it’s closed for visitors on Sundays.

Reply to: London in Jan 2024
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.